KDE4 questions

1) I try to find out kdesudo on KDE4 but I don't find it nowhere on system or on ports. Anyone who knows how/where to find it?
2) Opening apps using sudo, theme is ugly. How can set oxygen theme for Qt apps running as root?
3) On widgets, forecast plasmoid, is not refreshing weather.

I have a lot more difficulties but this is the biggest for me right now as new to KDE4. I have come on this Desktop Environment two days now and I try to find out the basics

PS: Sorry. I post by mistake in wrong section

sk8harddiefast said:
1) I try to find out kdesudo on KDE4 but I don't find it nowhere on system or on ports. Anyone who knows how/where to find it?
I don't know why one would ever want to run KDE apps as root, nor what kdesudo is, but if you need a sudo-like kde application call, you can use kdesu which is installed by x11/kde4-runtime (note that it's installed into /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/libexec/kdesu by default, which isn't in the default PATH)

sk8harddiefast said:
2) Opening apps using sudo, theme is ugly. How can set oxygen theme for Qt apps running as root?

The look and feel themes are setup during the first kde session login, which you probably don't do for root user. The theme can be setup using systemsettings, so just run that one as root.

I made something different.
cp /usr/local/kde4/lib/kde4/plugins/styles/oxygen.so /usr/local/lib/qt4/plugins/styles
And after that, with misc/qt4-qtconfig, I changed the theme to oxygen :)
At least the second question solved :)

Yes but oxygen theme was not in the list. If now I rebuild all packages with
Code:
KDE4_PREFIX=/usr/local
will my /usr/local/kde4 be deleted or I will have x11/KDE4 duplicated?

I think all files will be moved, but if there will be any leftovers... just delete them.
Strange is you couldn't see oxygen theme in the list to choose, here it's in place.

PS. You can wait for rebuild of your KDE4 ports when 4.11.x will hit ports.

The reality is that I love KDE4 from XFCE4. Is more integrated. I love plasmoid widgets, system sounds on login / logout, the embeded effects, the blur tranparency effect, the kickoff menu (I don't need any more to put 20 icons on the panel of XFCE4. I have the all in favorites one click far from me), the embedded finder and I also have a working kdm and of course graphics/kolourpaint which is the best alternative of windows paint and the only application I love on windows. The only bad on KDE4 is the insane huge list of dependencies and the tendency to put more and more applications as part of the DE.

Yeah, integrity and consistency is what i like in KDE4. Plasma applets are nice too. As of dependency list, I don't care much about it because disks are cheap right now. And I love kmail that I just cant use anything different (to bad it has few little bugs ;p).

For me it is not about disk space. I have plenty of this. Is about more packages -> more problems /bugs -> more difficult to handle them -> more time to rebuild them -> one dependency can crash the universe. Is different to have 500 packages from 2000 for example. Always I had ~700 / 750. Now I have 1050! But everything has his good and his bad. I prefer 1000 packages and an integrated system from 300 packages with a window manager. I love window managers but they are not for desktop use

To update you on the kde-4.11 issue, you can pull it from svn and install 4.11.2 onto FreeBSD-10. Last time I checked some dependency was broken on FreeBSD-9 due to recent changes in the ports architecture, and there are reports of issues with the stage build on the kde@ mailing list, so to be safe you should disable staging until those issues are resolved.

However there was a call for testing for qt-4.8.5 a month ago and it resulted in _very_ limited feedback, so things are getting delayed as it can't really be considered tested.

EDIT: also, for update safety, you should symlink that library rather than copying it.

About KDE styles exported to QT, you should check your QT4_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable.
It's set up for example in startkde4 script, so QT should allways see KDE plugins (styles etc.).

Also I have another question. How to make panel transparent? I don't see nowhere this option. I use the theme "Air for netbooks"

It can't be configured AFAIK, and is enabled by default if the rendering engine supports it. However only OpenGL 2 and OpenGL 3 engines support translucency over here. Even then Air for Netbooks has a high alpha value, and therefore little translucency for the panel. Normal Air is more translucent.

sk8harddiefast said:
For me it is not about disk space. I have plenty of this. Is about more packages -> more problems /bugs -> more difficult to handle them -> more time to rebuild them -> one dependency can crash the universe. Is different to have 500 packages from 2000 for example. Always I had ~700 / 750. Now I have 1050! But everything has his good and his bad. I prefer 1000 packages and an integrated system from 300 packages with a window manager. I love window managers but they are not for desktop use
KDE upstream has been splitting the (originaly 14) KDE packages which contained multiple applications and libraries into per-application and per-library packages which resulted in several hundred "new" packages appearing between KDE 4.5 and 4.11.

xibo said:
To update you on the kde-4.11 issue, you can pull it from svn and install 4.11.2 onto FreeBSD-10. Last time I checked some dependency was broken on FreeBSD-9 due to recent changes in the ports architecture, and there are reports of issues with the stage build on the kde@ mailing list, so to be safe you should disable staging until those issues are resolved.
The stage build should be working now.

xibo said:
However there was a call for testing for qt-4.8.5 a month ago and it resulted in _very_ limited feedback, so things are getting delayed as it can't really be considered tested.
QT-4.8.5 is in ports now.

Back