how fast can we cross compiling?

Hi,

I am trying to learn and play with the wlan driver for a cross compiled system. My problem is that it takes so much time to recompile everything, just because I added a printf somewhere to check things..

I have tried to add
Code:
MODULES_OVERRIDE = wlan
in /etc/make.conf, but it still takes time... and then I also tried this:
make -DNO_CLEAN -DNO_KERNELCONFIG -DNO_KERNELCLEAN -DNO_KERNELDEPEND buildkernel

it still compiles some stuff again, thought I didn't change them...

I am new to FreeBSD, but shouldn't make just recompile what is modified?

What can I do more to speed this up? And how fast should I expect the compilation to be at best?

Thank you for any clarifications!

make(1) does what you tell it, and buildkernel, well builds a kernel. See /usr/src/Makefile.inc1.

If you want to rebuild just a module, change to that directory and build it alone:
% cd /usr/src/sys/modules/wlan; make

And then copy or whatever, depending on your cross-compile setup.

The thing is wlan is built into the kernel...

but I found a another way which is fast too using KERNFAST flag instead of KERNCONF.

but I find it weird, why not just have KERNCONF and make will only compile what is changed and then link everything? what is the reason to clean everything by default? Did I miss something?

Any way here is my complete script for anyone who is interested for incremental changes:

Code:
setenv TARGET_BIG_ENDIAN y
setenv SRCROOT /usr/src
setenv TARGET mips
setenv TARGET_ARCH mips
setenv TARGET_CPUTYPE mips32
setenv KERNFAST RSPRO_NFS
setenv MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX /usr/just_kernel_nfs/obj
set TFTPBOOT=/usr/just_kernel_nfs/tftpboot

cd ${SRCROOT}
make buildkernel
make DESTDIR=${TFTPBOOT} installkernel

hilal said:
The thing is wlan is built into the kernel...
Why don't you take it out? You're already building a custom kernel, might as well remove this so it'll be a module.

SirDice said:
Why don't you take it out? You're already building a custom kernel, might as well remove this so it'll be a module.

Dont know, no specific reason, but I declare it in the kernel configuration... anyway KERNFAST is what I was searching for :D

Back