gnome2 package issues

Hello,

I am trying to install the gnome2 package and I am receiving this message:

pkg_add -r gnome2
Code:
Error: Unable to get [url]ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/Latest/gnome2.tbz:[/url] File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access)
pkg_add: unable to fetch 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/Latest/gnome2.tbz' by URL

If you have any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Michael

Code:
 ncftp ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/x11
ftp/ncftp3 if installed
Code:
 pwd # once connected, x11?
ls gno*
May be one way. There may be others...
(subject to typos maybe, above lines untested locally)

I found something out very interesting. I ftped to ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-current/Latest/ from the command prompt and the gnome2.tbz file is not listed. I checked with IE8 and still no luck but when I used opera I could see and download the file. The file is used to know what other packages gnome2 needs so just getting access to that file does not seem to be helpful. There seems to be a listing / permission problem from what I can tell. I am not sure who to contact that could take a look at the ftp server and see what might be the problem.

Michael

The file isn't there. Not all packages are built for all versions of the operating system. Probably the packages will be updated eventually, but I don't know when.

Ports, on the other hand, can be built at home.

I rechecked this morning and yes I had the correct path and the file is not listed there now but I see there is a gnome2-lite now. So very strange. I compared the files sizes and they are about 1K different. At least I know I'm not crazy and not seeing the file last night since I downloaded it. :)

I will try the gnome2-lite and let you know.

FWIW...
Gnome2 is at the x11 ftp subdir I referenced earlier; but it probably requires a lot of other packages . (Other window managers, openbox for example, would need less. )

I did get gnome2-lite to install. I think they did some changes since last night per our discussion. :) jb_fvwm2 I did see what you were referring to but you are correct you need a lot of other packages and I wouldn't know were which ones I would need. I am a novice but trying to learn. I also was looking for the package install not compiling as it takes a long time to compile all the different components.

Back