Gnome hdd display problems...dunno what to call it.

Hi,

Im pretty new to FreeBSD, as in Ive only had it installed for a few days now, and though I really hate to ask questions, Ill scour Google for hrs/days trying to find the needed info, I cant seem to find what Im looking for on this though, Ive read the man pages, but have a hard time understanding them, without examples sometimes.

I have two nfts partitions mounted, and two fat32 partitions mounted, the drives show up like white removable drives in "computer" before I mount them, then when I mount them, the fat32 drives dissapear, and the nfts stay the same.

I cant access the nfts drives through "computer" on any user account, I think Im getting a permissions error now.

I can access the drives on their mounted folders in the root, I had them mounted in /mnt at first, and thought maybe I needed them in the root directory for Gnome to work with them.

Last night I was working on getting write permissions to my fat32 drives, had them on root user, but not my user, I got that figured out....well atleast its working now, but I seen a code example for fstab with a
Code:
/d
in the line, so I gave it a try.

That caused the fat32 drive to show up on the desktop, and in "computer", it was accessible when I was logged in as root, but when I logged in as my user, it gave me a permissions error. Also it showed an error while booting with the /d in fstab.

Screenshot-4.png

Screenshot-5.png

Im running Gnome 2.26...think it is, on FreeBSD 7, I didnt update Gnome before installing it, due to I use a Windows Mobile phone for my internet, but from what I have read it has its problems, Im not sure if its something I am doing wrong, or what am I missing, or getting some of the syntax wrong in fstab?

Got a PCI RT2500 card coming, cause I thought I was limited to PCI, but Ive had a Zonet RT2500USB all along, that I bought especially for my OSX, I'll give it a try later and see if I can get it working with ADHOC for a connection, and ural.

Sorry to babble, and if this was a stupid question. I tend to not use the correct terms half of the time, Im sure.

Thanks

SirDice, thank you so very much. I do remember coming across that page after seeing it, I probably overlooked that, while trying to browse from my lil phone screen.

I should have realized what was happening with the fstab line, duh me.

Just removed the entries from fstab, and all the drives show up correctly, I dont have permissions on my user yet, Im thinking I should have been able to enable those through the "authorizations" in the Gnome menu, but it doesnt seem to be working, pretty sure I already know how to do it manually, had to take a break from all the reading last night though.

Thinking I may switch, and use Fluxbox by itself, if I can ever get my inet going, running Gnome reminds me too much of Linux, as far as a visual, but who knows, it may end up growing on me.

Thanks again.

Back