Other FreeBSD install generates incorrect fstab

So in the last maybe 24 hours I've had quite the show with freebsd. I've maybe installed freebsd on my laptop about 8 times now in the last day. The first 3 times were me trying to figure out why a wayland window manager Hyprland caused a whole kernel panic everytime it was ran, but thats beside the point here. Anyways today I decided to reinstall trying the ZFS partitioning scheme manually. The installer told me it might not boot but I disregarded this because I believed if all goes wrong I can just go into my linux install on the same system, rm the freebsd efis, and reformat the freebsd partitions. While that worked before on UFS it doesn't on ZFS seemingly. Now I get to the point of incorrect fstab. I've reinstalled 4 times maybe in the last 2 hours trying UFS but everytime even getting new isos and "reburning" them onto my usb, everything you could think of, doesn't work. It tells me on boot either /etc/fstab or /etc/rc are incorrect. Well I don't really know how to read the /etc/rc but I don't believe its causing the issue here because on each of these reinstalls catting out /etc/fstab file on the new install (first boot untouched system) it claims that all the filesystems are ZFS? Even though its a manually selected UFS only system? This only started happenign after that ZFS install, and I just can't quite ifgure out why it's doing this because this makes any freebsd install attempt unusable, along with my linux install not being compiled with write support for UFS. These filesystems are actually unknown to my linux install because I assume these filesystems haven't even been "opened" yet? If someone could please figure out what the frick is going on with freebsd that would be of great help because I had high hopes for this, and seemingly it wants to crap itself now.

I labeled this post has "other" simply because its kinda an issue with "both" fs-es.Attach files
Ive included my hwinfo from my linux install as well because you never know that my help

Attachments

• hwinfo.txt
    697.6 KB · Views: 47
like rc.conf , fstab is something you edit yourself.
So it's always correct :).
Except it wasn't. Ill try to attach a screenshot if it fails this time when I install. I catted it out and it said ZFS partitions despite me specifiying all my partitions being freebsd-ufs.

Well thats interesting, anyways I just reinstalled freebsd on ufs with the exact same partitioning scheme and whatnot and it worked, so I am all fine now. Thanks guys.

ZFS doesn't use fstab by default, but if you set mountpoint=legacy, you can use it if you really want/need to. The installer won't generate that sort of configuration, you'll have to go out of your way to do it yourself.

Back