FOSDEM 2024 Anyone?

I was excited to see FOSDEM (a yearly OSS conference in Belgium/Europe) as upcoming event on freebsd.org.

Sadly the deeplink revealed: There does not seem to be a BSD room in 2024: https://fosdem.org/2024/schedule/track/bsd/
So I was wondering if any of you knows more about the why and even more important: Who is planing to attend FOSDEM 2024?

I am currently planing to go there for the Postgres and Rust tracks anyways. Being a BSD newcomer myself, I would feel happy to meetup with some BSD people during the conference.

Thanks for your responses everyone. I was checking with FOSDEM this morning. The contact answering did not have any information about if there was a BSD room application send in, though was happy to tell me that a BSD room in 2025 would be possible.

Let's hope for the best :)

Looks like I have a chance of getting there. Anyone else for a meet up?

Belay that. Something got in the way. Again.

A little late to the conversation here, but I wanted to let folks know that the Foundation did apply for a stand and was rejected. We've had a stand there for many years aren't clear why they didn't accept it this year. We have two board members attending FOSDEM right now and I requested them to ask the organizers what we need to do to get accepted in 2025. They will ask about the BSD Devroom too, since that was also rejected this year.

The application for MySQL and MariaDB dev rooms were also rejected this year, despite these communities having had dev rooms going back as far as at least 2013 ("MySQL and friends").

Peter Zaitsev complains about the lack of transparency around these decisions:

Writing this from Brussels as the conf just finished.. as a random outsider attending since 2016 I think it is all just a numbers game.
For the past few years, if my memory serves me well, BSD was placed in AW or K which are the smallest rooms. And even there, I don't remember rooms being full or people queuing to get in.. It is a running joke now where some devrooms are constantly asking for bigger rooms because they are packed.. and the organisers said they are having trouble getting more rooms while conference is getting bigger every year.

The question was asked in opening session in J who is first time there and like 1/5 or even 1/4 of hands went up and there was a gasp in the audience, could not believe it.

All that said, maybe a better tactic is trying to get good BSD talks into themed topic rooms and sneak BSD into the soul of unsuspected listeners that way. 😅

<https://discord.com/channels/727023752348434432/760416197803245591/1189628357734834186> in December I wrote:

I don't think FreeBSD or BSDs were singled out. I vaguely recall someone expressing surprise at the absence of another organisation.

Back