firefox and youtube

I have Firefox installed on FreeBSD 13.2 and 14 computer both with Nvidia video cards.
When I play Youtube videos the screen blinks on and off black every 10 or 20 seconds. If I reboot and run Firefox before going to Youtube, the screen does not blink but is rock solid. What is the problem?

I don't think it will change something, but do you have the same issue if you run videos from an Invideous instance or from another provider (lE Dailymotion) or from another browser ?
Does it also happen in VLC, or any video player...?

As Perceval said, try it in another video player. I would recommend running mpv in a terminal and looking at its output to see if the decoder gives any interesting information.

I suspect it to be Firefox attempting to use VA-API but the driver for some reason acting up. If it is this, you can uninstall libva-nvidia-driver. I had issues with the radeon driver with an RX 560, and removing some of the libva- packages fixed it.

… video cards. …

If you need guidance: the command below should show which card is present on each computer.

pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 -A 2 -e '= display'

… I suspect it to be Firefox attempting to use VA-API but the driver for some reason acting up. If it is this, you can uninstall libva-nvidia-driver. …

Thanks, I never knew of multimedia/libva-nvidia-driver. Installed now, I'll reboot and experiment.

(Prior to installation: no problem with Firefox on FreeBSD15.0-CURRENT with x11/nvidia-driver-470.)

R. Esner can you suggest a URL/video for test purposes?

can you suggest a URL/video for test purposes?
I don't know of a particular video for testing (and from what I have seen, playback isn't affected much by libva's accelleration except on systems with weak CPUs), but kdenlive has a somewhat hidden feature I have used where it tests the video encoding profiles on your system (Project on toolbar -> Project Settings -> Proxy -> Gear with play arrow icon).
20231231_06h10m53s_grim.png

Back