ext2 on whole disk

Hi,

I've made an ext2 FS on a whole disk in order to exchange files between FreeBSD and Linux. I didn't partition the hdd, but just made a file system [1] on it.
The drive appears as ad6 on the FreeBSD system, but mounting [2] doesn't work. No error/warning messages and /mnt becomes inaccessible.

[1] mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda​
[2] mount -t ext2fs /dev/ad6 /mnt​

What am I doing wrong?

Yes, I knew about the difference between Linux and FreeBSD disk layouts and it's my mistake I didn't take it into account. Still the question remains. Is there any way to get the data from that disk? Perhaps a trick with dd and md or something like that?

Try running # ls /dev/ | grep ad6 (ad6 being your ext2 disk) to see what FreeBSD actually sees slice/partition -wise. I'm going out on a limb here, but you might want ad6s1.

Also, if you created the drive in any recent version Linux distro the inode size will likely be > 128. If you're running 7-STABLE you should be able to mount the drive without issues, iirc, but 7.2-RELEASE and earlier won't be able to mount it without a patch.

mount /dev/ad6[s1c,c,s1] were my second guesses when I found that "mount /dev/ad6" won't do and then I discovered there were no such entries under /dev:
Code:
  ls -lah /dev/ad6                      
  crw-r-----  1 root  operator    0,  71 Aug 10 12:40 /dev/ad6
This is the only entry.
Also there's nothing wrong with the disk or the FS - they work perfectly well under Linux-2.6.30 (which is pretty recent). My FreeBSD installation however is 7.2-RELEASE-p3.

Back