Error Msg: Freebsd ntpd[1253]: error resolving pool 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org:Name does not resolve (8)

Hi All,
Im new to FreeBSD and I've just installed the FreeBSD 14.0.
After I installed I constantly got this error message as Im experimenting the system:
Apr 11 22:37:17 Freebsd ntpd[1253]: error resolving pool 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org:Name does not resolve (8)
A

How do I stop this error message keeps happening?
Ive tried to research about it and kind of know that it has to do with network and DNS issue. But I've disconnect the network cable and turn off the network adapter off but the error message keeps popping up. I even went into the /etc/resolv.conf and use the restrict on the server and still did not work.
Please advise
Thanks

If you don't care about accurate time, then you could stop and disable the ntpd service.

If you care about accurate time:

It sounds like your DNS configuration is not correct.
"restrict" I don't think is an option that should be in /etc/resolv.conf that sounds more like an ntp.conf directive.
With your network up (assuming ifconfig shows an ip address and UP/Running) and you have routes (netstat -arn) try to see if anything resolves, using any of the commands:
nslookup, dig, adig

Do something like
adig google.com

If that doesn't work then check that /etc/resolv.conf actually points at real DNS servers somewhere, make sure you actually have a network up that can reach "the world".

Thanks All,

Maybe I should make myself more clear. Right now Im just experimenting the Freebsd system so connecting to the internet is not necessity for myself right now. I think I enable the ntpd feature at the setup that's why the ntpd is triggered and hence this error message is showing up when there is no internet. Could I please ask how do I disable the ntpd?

I did a bit research on it so I finally found that disabling the ntpd could be done via etc/rc.conf:

1. ntpd_enable = "NO"
or
2. it was comment out by using "#"
but both method didn't work and the following error is still popping up:
"Apr 11 22:37:17 Freebsd ntpd[1253]: error resolving pool 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org:Name does not resolve (8)"

Right now Im just experimenting the system without the internet so any networking troubleshooting isn't needed. I just want the error to be gone. Please advise.

Thanks All,

Maybe I should make myself more clear. Right now Im just experimenting the Freebsd system so connecting to the internet is not necessity for myself right now. I think I enable the ntpd feature at the setup that's why the ntpd is triggered and hence this error message is showing up when there is no internet. Could I please ask how do I disable the ntpd?

I did a bit research on it so I finally found that disabling the ntpd could be done via etc/rc.conf:

1. ntpd_enable = "NO"
or
2. it was comment out by using "#"
but both method didn't work and the following error is still popping up:
"Apr 11 22:37:17 Freebsd ntpd[1253]: error resolving pool 2.freebsd.pool.ntp.org:Name does not resolve (8)"

Right now Im just experimenting the system without the internet so any networking troubleshooting isn't needed. I just want the error to be gone. Please advise.

ntpd_enable="NO" disables the service which means it is prevented from starting automatically, but it will not affect a service that is already running. Make sure you run service ntpd stop too.

Back