/dev/ad4s1f - no such file or directory

hello,

i've installed an configured freebsd and after that i decided to create a partition with fdisk on unallocated space. fdisk ruined something and at first i received "invalid partition table" messages on bootup.

so i deleted the newly created partition, freebsd seems to be start booting normally, but now i get

can't stat /dev/ad4s1f - no such file or directory
after that - UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY on /usr
and single-mode user

and sysinstall from the cd doesn't show pretty a picture of slices anymore, some mount points are marked as *, and /usr is completely missing

what can i do about it?

Boot to single user mode, then:
Code:
fsck -y
mount -u /
mount -a -t ufs

Watch that last command carefully. See if everything in /etc/fstab gets mounted properly. Edit fstab if you have to.

well, i get the same prompt from the last command - /dev/ad4s1f - no such file or directory, simply because ad4s1f device node does not exist in the system at the moment

everything else from ad4 gets mounted nicely

Ok. What filesystem used to be on ad4s1f? Have a look at your fstab file.

i have a suspicion that this may be because it's the last slice on partition, and its end might have been somehow affected by creating a new partition next to it

It shouldn't.

What does # disklabel /dev/ad4s1 tell you?

8 partitions:
Code:
# size       offset    fstype    [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
a: 1048576   0         4.2BSD     0     0     0
b: 8388608   1048576   swap
c: 102399632 0         unused     0     0           # "raw" part, don't edit
d: 8278016   9437184   4.2BSD     0     0     0
e: 1048576   17715200  4.2BSD     0     0     0

As you can see there's no f partition. Question is, where did it go?

Can you also post the output of # fdisk ad4?

well, unfortunately, i tried to fix the problem myself and accidentaly formatted the disk :D

ad4 was 50GB as in the beginning, so i tried to use disklabel to make a mount point, but i must have missed some settings and it did newfs on the newly created f-slice.

at the moment xorg installation is in progress :D

the question is - how come ad4s2 creation resulted in "invalid partition table" message, and its deletion - in last ad4s1 slice corruption?!

Back