Can't remove Presence applet

Hello! I'm resurrecting my FreeBSD desktop so I'm trying to catch back up and get back into the swing of things. Unfortunately I've fallen behind so I fear I'm going to have newbie questions again. :(

Anyhow, one of tonight's issues: I accidentally added the "Presence" applet in Gnome. Unfortunately, it's grayed-out and inactive which apparently prevents it from being right-clicked on, so no context menu appears in order to remove it from the panel like you can with other applets. How does one remove this? Is there another trick you can use?

Here is my guess:

Applications -> System Tools -> Configuration Editor (or just gconf-editor form a terminal)

Then find apps -> panel

I'm afraid it looks a little messy in there. But if you can find the applet in "applets" (maybe applet_2 - look for OAFIID:GNOME_NotHere_Applet). Note which applet number is, and remove that from general -> applet_id_list.

Hmm, interesting technique. I'll remember that for later, but what I ended up doing was identify the task and killing it, at which point Gnome prompted me that it crashed and gave me the option to not try to load it again.

Hey, actually, there's a simpler way to remove it.

That applet is a part of "Empathy", a chat app that lets you connect to chat clients like AIM, Live Messenger, Google Talk, Yahoo, etc. When you sign in, you can set your status with that panel app. Since you are not signed in, it is grayed out.

You should have Empathy, if not, simply install it, and either log in with your real accounts, or pretend to log in, and the panel applet will be un-grayed and you can remove it.

Or you might decide to keep it and manage your status :D

No need to mess around with tasks or app configurations. :)

Back