FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE
HPLIP 3.23.8
HP Color LaserJet MFP M281cdw

I have two networks here, 192.168.1.xxx and 10.1.1.xxx that can route between each other successfully. Devices on one network can contact those on the other... in fact, a Windows system on 10.1.1.xxx can print to the printer which is on 192.168.1.xxx just fine. But my FreeBSD system (also on 10.1.1.xxx) cannot.

I go into HPLIP and get the "No Installed HP Devices Found" screen you get when nothing is set up yet. I click the [Setup Device...] button, select "Network/Ethernet" then [Show Advanced Options]. I check the box for "Manual Discovery" then enter the IP address of the printer. Then I click [Next >]. It finds and identifies the printer correctly, so I click [Next >] again. Now I'm on the "Setup Device" screen where I can customize the printer name and set the PPD file (the one it chooses is correct). So I click [Add Printer]. I get a toast notification (Xfce) that the printer was added, but HPLIP takes me back to the "No Installed HP Devices Found" beginning screen and no printers are listed.

I thought I needed HPLIP and CUPS for my HP LaserJet
Ah, I thought HPLIP could replace CUPS, but based on your comment I actually checked this and you're right. I had CUPS installed but not configured/running, so I went through that and now the printer adds fine in HPLIP.

Thanks for the tip!

Back