Canon printer issues

Something strange has happened since a recent package update with printing to my Canon MG3150 (the cheapo one). I use the cups-bjnp back end to print to it. Never any problem before, but for some reason cups stopped seeing the printer. And this is on two FreeBSD 13.1 installations, the same issue. I tried the add new printer function, and cups failed to find it, when usually it would locate it using the bjnp function, on the network. I had to therefor do a manual connection through cups using "Canon Printer Network" which allowed me to connect via bjnp://192.168.1.85:8611, which fortunately works, but I'd prefer the automatic method.

Any thoughts on the issue. Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks
Mark

Firewall settings blocking the broadcasts? Or not allowing the response?

Code:
Firewalling
===========
Cups-bjnp communicates with port 8611 on the printer. So you will have to allow 
traffic TO port 8611 for printing.

Printer detection is slightly more complicated. (cups-bjnp sends a broadcast on
all subnets it can find. The broadast is sent FROM port 8611 to port 8611. The
outgoing packets will be allowed by the rule above. Responses from the printer
are sent back to the computer TO port 8611. Connection tracking however does not
see a match. You will therefore have to allow packets received TO port 8611 as well.

Ah, that old pesky firewall. It would seem that was the root of the problem. I had originally discounted that, as I had played with a couple of rules that didn't appear to work. However after now mucking about with it for a couple of hours, it seems that adding 8611 udp and not just tcp seems to make it work again. Doh!

Thanks for the advice.

I installed my Canon MG3022 on GhostBSD 24.01 xfce edition using the following steps: I install cups and opened the CUPS site, http://localhost:631, turned printer on and as root ran lpinfo -v which lists the printers available. It listed direct usb://Canon/MG3000%20series ... I copied that info as device-uri and installed the printer with lpadmin -p printername -v device-uri. the printer was installed and I could print the CUPS Printer Test Page. I am sure there are there are other ways to do this using bjnp or dnssd

Back