Cannot use autofs.

Hello,

I have pass all night trying to configure /etc/auto_master with and without a child file and I cannot automount any of my wetwork shares on my local network. I can see my shares using fstab and it work very well but can I automount and unmount a cifs share like autofs using fstab?

Any way I am stuck with autofs. PCManFM show well the shares too. All my network shares are only available on port 445.

It would probably help if you actually posted the configuration you tried. And the errors you got.

Version 3 is the more secure it suppose. All my smb.conf allow version NT1 to SMB3 protocols and it work everywhere even on Samba server in FreeBSD when I mount it shares with the option vers=3.0 as a client on an other machine. So I think that Samba on FreeBSD can serve more than one protocol.

I think that mount_smbfs on FreeBSD cannot use other protocol than NT1 but all my Samba servers accept this protocol as the lowest one. So I don't see where is the problem.

Version 3 is the more secure it suppose.
SMBv1 is broken by design and heavily abused by a lot of malware. Which is why it has been turned off by default on Windows.

So I think that Samba on FreeBSD can serve more than one protocol.
Samba still supports SMBv1. But you didn't mention you were connecting to a Samba server and I assumed you connected to an actual Windows share.

Trigger the automount by accessing the directory, then look in /var/log/messages for any errors if it doesn't work. Also check your samba logs for reasons why it may have failed.

Back