Black screen on startx

Hello, I proudly installed FreeBSD as operating system on my Packard Bell nav50. I badly wanted XFCE as desktop environment so I typed:
[CMD=]pkg_add -r gnome2[/CMD]
then
[CMD=]pkg_add xorg[/CMD]
then
Code:
# cd /root
# rehash
# Xorg -configure
# cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf
# shutdown -r now

After reboot I tried startx and the result was an error output of bad display name in "add" command, then a totally black screen, like it was shut down.

I tried

[CMD=]Ctrl+Alt+Fn[/CMD]

but I wasn't able to return in text mode, so, after some googling I tried to find out my hostname and adding it in my hosts file. I started X again and the result was a rapid output (which I wasn't able to read) and a black screen again.

I also tried
[CMD=]xfce4-session[/CMD]
but I got this error message:

Code:
(xfce4-session:1828) : Gtk warning **: cannot open display:

I also followed the x11 configuration guide but I get the same problem. In the end I read the /var/log/Xorg.0.log and I found some errors:
Code:
failed to change owner or group for file /dev/dri! 2: no such file or directory
failed to change owner or group for file /dev/dri/card0! 2: no such file or directory
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1 (no such file or directory)
drmOpenDevice: open failed

Then after a few lines of apparently succeded operation for intel(0) the final line states:
Code:
intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Unknown error: -1

I'm frustrated... please.. help! :(

Ok, it seems that the solution is to install xf86-video-intel29-2.9.1 drivers... but i don't know how...

If I type

[cmd=]pkg_add -r xf86-video-intel29-2.9.1[/cmd]

I get the
Code:
unable to fetch
error! What should I do? Sorry I'm totally new to this.

Thanks for your help.

Fobaz said:
Ok, it seems that the solution is to install xf86-video-intel29-2.9.1 drivers... but i don't know how...

If I type

[cmd=]pkg_add -r xf86-video-intel29-2.9.1[/cmd]

I get the
Code:
unable to fetch
error! What should I do? Sorry I'm totally new to this.

There's no package built for that port, so you'll have to use the port.

This may be one situation where not updating the ports tree first is preferable. Maybe it won't matter.

Incidentally, you've provided nearly no information. What version of FreeBSD? Bits are cheap, use lots of them to describe your situation and it can make the problem much easier to solve.

I have FreeBSD 8.1 on a Packard Bell nav50 equipped with a with a GMA 3150 gpu, Chipset Intel NM10.

Ok I managed to find the port, but when I try to install I receive this output:

Code:
we have to wait of GEM support to get the ironlake chips to work
*** error code 1

Sounds horrible.

That was mentioned in the thread linked in post #2. You have to comment out the IGNORE statement in the Makefile.

IT WORKS!

As explained in the linked thread I had to comment out the IGNORE line, then deinstall the old driver, install the intel29 one, and update the package database. It works just fine... I just needed a little reading about the Makefile in the manual...

Thank you life saviours!

Back