Ansible alternatives for FreeBSD. Which is better to use?

Puppet is still quite popular, even though a lot of companies are migrating from Puppet to Ansible. Puppet has a pretty steep learning curve though, and it requires a server and agents. Which one is "better" is a matter of opinion. Both Puppet and Ansible have their strengths and weaknesses.

Puppet is still quite popular, even though a lot of companies are migrating from Puppet to Ansible. Puppet has a pretty steep learning curve though, and it requires a server and agents. Which one is "better" is a matter of opinion. Both Puppet and Ansible have their strengths and weaknesses.
Ansible is under GPL license

SaltStack works well, although recent versions have been flaky. I like writing Ansible, but it's very slow to run. It's a shame that it's GPL, but other than that I'm good with it.

Is there a more FreeBSD-native tool for configuring hosts in an automated fashion?

I can also recommend Salt over Ansible. I've worked with Salt on Ubuntu and found it to be very reliable. I'd use it on FreeBSD, but I haven't really seen the need for it (yet).

FreeBSD is pretty well designed out of the box to just manage it with shell scripts over ssh/git/http. The separation of packages from the base system and the increased availability of conf.d style configuration files makes it almost unnecessary to use a config management framework.

Back