a strange problem

Yesterday:

Code:
cd /usr/src
make update
portmaster -a

then 78 packages is updated(including "xorg-server" and "nv" opensource driver), but now, the X does not work properly.

When I turn on the power the system boot normally as usual, but the gdm give me a horrible interface, I can't see anything normally, the colors and picture is presented in a terrible and strange way, but I still can recognize that is gdm interface. :(

It is very interesting, the mouse' shape is clear, so I think the hardware is good.

Seems, everyting is ok except X, if I disable gnome through rc.conf, I still can run FreeBSD in CLI model. :e

Hi all:

Good news: I am sure this is a software problem (if run OpenBSD X works). :e

Bad news: I don't how to solve it. :(

When I upgraded xorg to 7.5 gnome didn't even started: black screen with perfect (and moving) cursor on it. Trying to reinstall some parts of gnome I messed my system up completely up to reinstalling FreeBSD from scratch:)
Then I built fresh xorg7.5 and installed gnome from packages with some updates from ports.
No luck.
Then I assumed that gnome uses lot's of xorg's stuff that was all bumped after xorg upgrade and built xorg7.5 from scratch then built gnome from ports (that took me more that 24 hours (cofig recursive first then go to bed :) Then gnome started normally but with exception of gnome-power-manager that refused to build. This problem was solved and gnome runs fine now.
Don't know if easier way exist.

The first thing I would do is to try startx, and see what happens. Moving ~/.initrc should allow X to start in it's default config, so we can make sure it is not an X problem.
If so, move /etc/X11/xorg.conf file and try startx, or xorg --configure, and check that it is not a stale config.

Then.. well, let us know. Or keep fiddling, but keep a track of what you do change: you don't want introduce new problems while tracking down old ones!

I have been rebuilt everything from scratch (reinstall freebsd => recompile world => compile ports) but the problem still exist.

I tried many times with or without xorg.conf but didn't get any improvement, I am afraid that is a potential bug.

On -current I had troubles with new src: snapshot 201004 worked great but latest src led to hangs during any compiling.
Do you work with -stable or -current?
What's your hardware btw?
Mine is 8 y.o. Asus P4S333/c (sis chip), P4 2.4GHz, ram 2.5Gb, GeForce3-Ti200.
I did: snapshot => xorg7.5 (compiled without HAL) => gnome2 => latest src => world+kernel rebuilding. Everything seems to work fine now.

I use portsnap for ports because cvsup update (cd /usr/src ; make update) brings newest but not quite stable set (as I believe).

It's very likely that everything is under intensive development now (to adjust for xorg7.5) and things may change every day.

UPDATE. I wrote "Everything seems to work fine now". Wrong. Just tried to install audacity and got hang again during building: "does C++ supports -g ... yes" =hang.
Moved kernel>kernel.new and kernel.good>kernel - builds fine.
Somehow latest src don't work for me currently.

I run 8.0 release and always get src, ports and doc tree with csup.

The X is compiled with hal.

The video chip set is NVIDIA 9500GT and run with open source 'nv' driver(I don't like the official driver).

Since I always recompile the system (with highly customized make.conf and src.conf) before compile the ports, there are many possibilities, if something wrong.

fender0107401 said:
Since I always recompile the system (with highly customized make.conf and src.conf) before compile the ports, there are many possibilities, if something wrong.
Start by removing compiler options like CFLAGS from /etc/make.conf.

SirDice said:
Start by removing compiler options like CFLAGS from /etc/make.conf.

I can't do that. :(

I deleted FreeBSD and run OpenBSD 4.6, although some one told me that 4.7 will be released soon but I can't wait.

I am designing an algorithm, so I need the X works at one, I tried run vim without X in the CLI model, but 80 characters limitation is unacceptable for me.

Next time, I will not tweak make.conf and src.conf too much.

Back