3D-performance-shredder KDE?

Hello guys, I cannot help myself but thinking that KDE4 is a real 3D-Performance-shredder:

Provided you have your 3D-acceleration working (in my case a ATI M X700) I experience the following:

glxgears in gnome, xfce4 or fluxbox: Around 2000 fps. In KDE4: Around 1700-1800 fps.

But what is by far more disappointing: When I start a 3D-game like ioquake3 or linux-enemy-territory, the game experience is very jerky in kde4, while with the other window-managers the experience is completely smooth and stable.
What do you think? And is there any tuning-tipp to make KDE4 work as smooth as the others?
What is really worse than the loss of overall fps is the jerky performance in games.

to play games i suggest to turn temporarily off video effects (alt - shift - f12)

for the performance problems, try tuning the video effects in the system settings

I had no effects turned on. I also tried to fine-tune in windows-settings, like deactivating shadow alnd glow, but the behaviour is the same. Still somehow jerky and glxgears doesn't show a highr value.

Back