Virtualbox mouse not seamless

Hi everyone, i've been trying for a little while now to make the mouse seamless in Virtualbox (latest) and FreeBSD 10. I have added all of these to my rc.conf .

Code:
gdm_enable=”YES”
gnome_enable=”YES”
vboxguest_enable=”YES”
vboxservice_enable=”YES”
vboxguest_load="YES"
vboxdrv_load="YES"

Enabled procfs.
I have added this to my xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse1"
        Driver "vboxmouse"
EndSection

I'm not sure what to do. But I want to be able to move from Windows 7 to the VBox VM without issue. I can do this with other OSes. Is there still an issue with the drivers for FreeBSD?

Thank you in advance!

Seems to be some confusion with enable versus load there. For a guest, only these two are needed:
Code:
vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"

I have vboxdrv_load in /boot/loader.conf and only vboxnet_enable in /etc/rc.conf. I have to click inside virtualbox to get the mouse in there. I didn't know you could do it seamlessly but that doesn't mean anything.

For a VirtualBox host:
/boot/loader.conf:
Code:
vboxdrv_load="YES"
(Optional) /etc/rc.conf
Code:
vboxnet_enable="YES"

For a VirtualBox client:
Code:
vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"
/usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier "Mouse1"
        Driver "vboxmouse"
EndSection

Sometimes, I've seen the client lose up to the first three mouse clicks. The latest version on 10-STABLE does not seem to do that, but I have not really paid attention.

andrewm659 said:
Yeah still not working. Not sure why.

If you followed @wblock's advice above correctly, also make sure if you have a xorg.conf file in your /etc/X11 directory that you delete or at least rename it. The correct path for xorg.conf is /usr/local/etc/X11 in FreeBSD however X11 still looks in /etc/X11 first as it is first in $PATH. (historic reasons maybe?).

Last edited by a moderator:
wblock@ said:
X looks in several places for xorg.conf. I use /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf because it fits in the FreeBSD hier(7) layout.
Thanks. I could have swore I read at one point in the mailing lists a while back that using /etc/X11 was going to be deprecated and /usr/local/etc/X11 was to be default. xorg.conf(5) does indeed still list /etc/X11 as well as many other places so I guess that assumption was wrong.

Back