Latest activity

• Alexander88207
    Alexander88207 reacted to zirias@'s post in the thread Is vscode broken ? with Thanks Thanks.
    Electron is one of the worst software design ideas in recent years. It just makes no sense to build "desktop apps" on top of the monstrosity we now know as "web browser" (which is better described as "application platform", based on heavily...
  • Crivens
    Crivens replied to the thread Is vscode broken ?.
    I'd say we make it a law to supply all developers with what the typical school boy has (not gamer), the hand-me-down laptop of his dad kind of things. This will make them think twice about adding more frills and eye candy.
  • Crivens
    Crivens replied to the thread Is vscode broken ?.
    I sure can. While this is certainly over the top, I still have systems in service that will take most of the day to build world, and will take a day to build llvm. When you need to build llvm, chromium, node, electron and some more, you will wait...
  • marian_cerny
    The same reason. I won't need to manage (unnecessary) "merge" conflicts around RCSID tags with every minor or major FreeBSD system upgrade with my versioned configuration files management.
  • SirDice
    SirDice replied to the thread ZFS RESOLVED: USB based Swap.
    USB3 maybe, but I would consider anything else to be too slow. Just create a swap on the SSD, if you have enough memory it'll barely be used anyway. And, remember, pfSense is not supported here...
  • K
    How so, out of interest? Did you not find them a useful indicator for things such as issue reproduction / development?
  • F
    SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10 Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds: ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE 1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x000f 100 064...
  • marian_cerny
    Very happy with FreeBSD 13 MOTD I on the other hand welcome this change to motd. Finally I do not need to manage changes to /etc/motd each time I update the system (kernel) in my versioned configuration management. And I can still use custom...
  • Cath O'Deray
    I was able to install anydesk using the file from anydesk site and the ports, but it was not working until I found your post and did : pkg install gtkglext Thank you for the help! I am curious, how did you figured out that gtkglext...
  • Cath O'Deray
    I assume an old computer. i386? Which version of FreeBSD, exactly? Packages of ports from quarterly, or latest? freebsd--version -kru ; uname -aKU pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to wolffnx's post in the thread Solved Slim strange problem with Like Like.
    Hi , this remembers me the old windows95/98 years, but this time is no critical.. When used Slim to autostart my WM , this is what happend: happen in all WM , in this example I test with Blackbox, but I use Fvwm3 but when I disable Slim, and...
  • Cath O'Deray
    The dynamic and disruptive technology industry has witnessed many shifts within its overall landscape, including changes that have forced long-term technologies to adapt and evolve. FreeBSD is no different. Each new release demonstrates its...
  • cracauer@
    So the better fix was to make sure that stderr is open before doing the system() call... :oops: logit( "callsystem('$sy')"); open STDERR, '>/dev/null'; my $syr = system( $sy);
  • cracauer@
    Fd 2 is not magical and not reserved. It is hardcoded in the program to be used for diagnostic output. But nothing keeps anybody from closing it, in which case it will be returned to the pool of fds to be used on new open() calls.
  • cracauer@
    cracauer@ replied to the thread Compiling chrome-browser.
    Why do you use TMPFS when you say that the build drives your computer into swapping?
  • robroy
    robroy reacted to richardtoohey2's post in the thread 14.1 is coming with Like Like.
    From Twitter, Colin Percival: ”FreeBSD 14.1-BETA1 is now available: lists.freebsd.org/archives/freeb… Please test this! Especially if you have a desktop/laptop system -- some changes just landed recently affecting audio and we'd like to make...
  • Cath O'Deray
    The January to March Status Report is now available with 21 entries. Continue reading...
  • Cath O'Deray
    The FreeBSD Foundation is excited to share the progress of its diverse software development projects for the first quarter of 2024. These projects demonstrate our ongoing commitment to advancing the FreeBSD operating system through various...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Is responsiveness noticeably better? You shouldn't need it for the desktop use case. I never set it, and I have pushed the machine very hard.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Which version of FreeBSD, exactly? Packages of ports from quarterly, or latest? freebsd--version -kru ; uname -aKU pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled -e priority Versions inside the jail?
  • Cath O'Deray
    Which version of FreeBSD, exactly? freebsd--version -kru ; uname -aKU
  • robroy
    robroy reacted to gpw928's post in the thread Framework credit card charges with Like Like.
    I have had my new (as yet undelivered) Framework 16 charged to a credit card five days ago. A warning to non-US residents. This company advertises prices in local currency, and then charges in US dollars. I wonder if they realise just how...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Yes. Key phrase: root on ZFS We're directed (maybe misdirected) to the FreeBSD Handbook, which has no such phrase, so maybe try the second of the pictured wiki pages.
    • 1715049276662.png
  • Cath O'Deray
    I never knew that end-of-line comments were allowed. Now I see. Thanks! sysctl.conf(5) Since PulseAudio became risk-free (thanks to the improvements in base), I'll probably cease setting hw.snd.default_unit. What's your use case for...
  • Cath O'Deray
    hw.snd.default_unit=4 hw.snd.feeder_rate_quality=3 hw.usb.no_shutdown_wait=1 #0 : No USB device waiting at system shutdown kern.cam.scsi_delay=2000 # Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI kern.corefile=/var/coredumps/%U/%N.core...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to gotnull's post in the thread Thoughts on grub with Like Like.
    If you can switch to rEFInd, it might be your savior. Installed once, didn't touch it since :rolleyes:, and it works as intended. Does its job: boot different OSes (Windows, Linux and FreeBSD). Of course UEFI is required hence the name.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray replied to the thread Compiling chrome-browser.
    140amd64-default on on beefy12, timeouts after more than 48 hours for chromium and ungoogled-chromium. rootbert
    • 1715047432456.png
  • gpw928
    gpw928 reacted to vermaden's post in the thread Valuable News – 2024/05/06 with Thanks Thanks.
    Article here. FreeBSD, The FreeBSD Foundation, and The FreeBSD Forums are not associated with the content of this article.
  • F
    yes M1015 card
  • F
    let me know what command I can run / or data I can post Thanks
  • gpw928
    I have had my new (as yet undelivered) Framework 16 charged to a credit card five days ago. A warning to non-US residents. This company advertises prices in local currency, and then charges in US dollars. I wonder if they realise just how...
  • B
    In the process of trying to create a DOS bootable USB stick I ended up with the above mentioned error msg. Has anyone seen such a thing? I'm assuming that the problem is that the mbr does not end with 55AA. If that is the case can I just copy...
  • K
    Have you been through this wiki page? https://wiki.freebsd.org/TuningPowerConsumption It tends to be pretty good. With this in place I can usually get within 1 or 2 watts of Linux running on the same hardware.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to mer's post in the thread 14.1 is coming with Thanks Thanks.
    release vs dates. It's always a tradeoff. My opinion it starts with defining "what's in this release" Bugfixes? Make sure they are root caused so fixes can be tested (sometimes just code inspection). I think bugfixes can come quicker, but root...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray replied to the thread 14.1 is coming.
    releng/14.0 was extraordinary, technically. At least: everything that was on stable/14 before the creation of releng/14.1. Whether there should be a merge from main is typically decided before the commit to main. So that is, largely, where...
    • 1715025335246.png
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray replied to the thread 14.1 is coming.
    Similarly, but without the walled garden effect that's now associated with X, Colin's post pictured below (first shot). Third shot, the omission of X was probably unintentional. If it's perceptibly a problem, I can raise it with Drew Gurkowski...
    • 1715023848554.png
    • 1715024077286.png
    • 1715024226834.png
  • K
    I believe that intel driver is the old (non-kms) driver which you don't want. https://cgit.freebsd.org/ports/tree/x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel I would delete the xorg config file entirely and try running Xorg again. Otherwise, try Driver...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray reacted to richardtoohey2's post in the thread 14.1 is coming with Thanks Thanks.
    From Twitter, Colin Percival: ”FreeBSD 14.1-BETA1 is now available: lists.freebsd.org/archives/freeb… Please test this! Especially if you have a desktop/laptop system -- some changes just landed recently affecting audio and we'd like to make...
  • Cath O'Deray
    You may be right, but the survey was organised by the FF, not Core, so it's possible that Core do not get to decide what to do with the results. It's easy to make the results immediately presentable if you organise the survey correctly in...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Looking at the original invitation to take the survey on the FreeBSD Foundation website here, it's not obvious from the text that the results were going to be kept private. If I had known that I would never have taken part as it doesn't feel in...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Thanks for responding. I would expect one. What benefit is there for the wider community if only the FreeBSD Foundation gets to see the survey results? The least I would expect from a survey like this is confirmation of my own thoughts and ideas...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Cath O'Deray replied to the thread Compiling chrome-browser.
    The ZBook that I use daily recently gained an upgrade, an internal SSD alongside the HDD. In my overexcitement, I made the mistake of creating a single partition and giving it to a ZFS pool, which – of course – I can not shrink. Nothing...
  • Cath O'Deray
    Hi, does anybody know when the results from the 2024 FreeBSD Community Survey will be published?
  • cracauer@
    cracauer@ replied to the thread Compiling chrome-browser.
    That does of course depend on how many cores you use for building. Getting too many cores and then not backing them up with RAM is not useful.
  • cracauer@
    OSS is in both FreeBSD and Linux. However, OSS in FreeBSD always supports a mixer for multiple applications, whereas Linux does not. That is why Linux always needs a sound demon and FreeBSD does not.
  • T
    tingo reacted to Crivens's post in the thread Is vscode broken ? with Like Like.
    My crystal ball tells me that one day packages will be missing from quarterly because they buld for more than 3 months...
  • chrbr
    chrbr reacted to vermaden's post in the thread Valuable News – 2024/05/06 with Thanks Thanks.
    Article here. FreeBSD, The FreeBSD Foundation, and The FreeBSD Forums are not associated with the content of this article.
  • T
    I found the answer. I had performed a fsck on the filesystem yesterday and it returned a clean bill of health. But today I decided to take the system off-line (rebooted) and forced a fsck on the off-line filesystem. This time fsck found and fixed...
  • T
    Are the disks connected to a backplane, or sata cables? If there are cables, they could have gone bad.
  • Cath O'Deray
    Hello Forum & Folks, I just registered myself because I wanted to ask something. I am back to Apple about 2 or 2,5 years ago. Before that, I used Windows. I use Windows sometimes now too, but virtual on my MacBook Air. I like my Apple ecosystem...
Back