Can't start Gnome2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently installed under the root account with [cmd=]pkg_add -v -r gnome2[/cmd] I've tried startx which reports no command found and adding
Code:
gdm_enable="YES"
and
Code:
gnome_enable="YES"
to the rc.conf file. However I can't seem to start it.

Some of the desktop environments don't actually have a dependency on xorg, so it has to be installed manually.

(As to why they aren't dependent xorg... it may be that some people still use xfree86.)

Looks like gnome didn't install xorg by default. Working now. :) However, it seems that gnome is extremely slow and unstable. Took forever to load and when it did GDM was dead as no box appeared to type my username in. Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to learn FreeBSD so it'll have to go.:(

When you solve a problem, it's nice to tell what you did for the benefit of others in the same situation. Probably this time you mounted /proc.

Steps I took.

1st. Reinstalled FreeBSD

2nd. Installed Xorg with [cmd=]pkg_add -v -r xorg[/cmd]

3rd. Installed Gnome with [cmd=]pkg_add -v -r gnome2[/cmd]

4th. Added
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
to /etc/rc.conf

5th Rebooted.

Lastly please don't be demanding. I know this maybe helpful to others, but I shouldn't feel forced to.

So no one on here should feel in the least obliged to help you out. Got it. Feel free to try that out on any forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back