How to install a binary package without Internet access?

Hello!

I'm trying FreeBSD 10.0-BETA2. For the Internet connection (L2TP) I use MPD5. Earlier I could install the MPD5 package by the command # pkg_add mpd-5.7.tbz. But in FreeBSD 10 pkg_add is no longer available. pkgng requires installing from Internet.
Code:
root@Test:/home/mrstalker # pkg add
The package management tool is not yet installed on your system.
Do you want to fetch and install it now? [y/N]:
How to install the binary package in this situation? Or in RELEASE will be the preinstalled pkgng?

This comes a bit late, but it may help you or someone else in the future.

It's a solution I found on the PKG primer and it's faster as it installs the package itself using the static binary included inside.

First fetch the package on a machine with an access to the Internet: fetch [url=http://pkg1.nyi.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/latest/All/pkg-1.2.1.txz]http://pkg1.nyi.freebsd.org/freebsd:10: ... -1.2.1.txz[/url]. Then on the second machine:
Code:
tar xf ./pkg-1.2.1.txz -s ",/.*/,,g" "*/pkg-static"
./pkg-static add ./pkg-1.2.1.txz

MrStalker said:
Code:
# pkg add mpd-5.7.txz
Signature for pkg not available.
What's wrong?
Most likely your repository file. I think you've told pkg to use fingerprints as the signature_type but the binary repository doesn't seem to support that right now.

The easiest solution is not to specify signature_type so that it defaults to NONE. See pkg.conf(5) for more information on that.

I tried this is on FreeBSD 10-RC4, the situation is the same. I've edited /etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf by recommendation of @ShelLuser. But it caused a new problem:
Code:
pkg: fail to extract pkg-static
However, @Beastie's solution works without problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also tried 10-RC4. It gives the same problem as in the first post. Previous releases in this regard have been easier. Thanks @Beastie. I will try your option to install packages.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just thought I'd put my own experience out there, I was just having this problem whenever I tried to install pkg with the pkg: fail to extract pkg-static message. As per the recommendation of ShelLuser, I edited etc/pkg/FreeBSD.conf and logged in as root and was able to get it to work properly. Thanks, ShelLuser!

Back