Solved [Solved] FreeBSD 10 pkgng not functioning properly

Greetings everyone,

After installation today, I installed PKGNG, then did pkg update. I then went to install Xorg and other packages, and PKGNG is telling me they don't exist in the repos. I did a pkg search for xf86-video-vesa, and it came up as search result, but when I did pkg install xf86-video-vesa an error message displays that no package is available by that name. Left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Will B.

Re: FreeBSD 10 pkgng not functioning properly

Thanks for the reply. It's on another partition of this computer, so I'll need to jump back to get that for you. Thanks for your patience.

Here are the commands and output.

Code:
# pkg update
Updating repository catalogue

# pkg search xf86-video-vesa
xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3_1

# pkg install xf86-video-vesa
pkg: Missing dependency matching 'x11-servers/xorg-server'
pkg: No packages matching 'xf86-video-vesa' available in the repositories

I did issue pkg install xorg which appeared successful, but when I try running X, it's not found

For what it's worth, xorg-server doesn't yet seem to be available as a package, which would cause a number of others to fail to install properly.

xorg-7.7.txz is available in the release and quartely repos, as is xf86-video-vesa-2.3.3.txz. However, there is no xorg-7* in the current (aka latest; aka default) repo, and vesa is listed as 2.3.3._1.

If you point your FreeBSD.conf repo file to the release directory, everything should work.

I believe you can just edit the URL in the config file and point it to the following:
pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:64/release/0/

That will use the package repo that was built at the time of 10.0 release, and is the same packages as (I believe) ships on the DVDs. This repo will never change, will never get updated, it's frozen in time.

Other repos available include:

Note: change 64 to 32 if you are using 32-bit version.

Select the repo that works for your needs.

Ah, thanks for that. I did try changing 'latest' to 'release', but didn't include the '/0/' afterward. Will try now.

Thanks for the help! :)

@phoenix, thanks for the tip. It fixed the problem. I'm curious why 'latest' wasn't working, but '/release/0/' did the job.

Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

willbprog127 said:
Ah, thanks for that. I did try changing 'latest' to 'release', but didn't include the '/0/' afterward. Will try now.

Since the OS version in the URL only includes the major number, the 0 is needed to differentiate between releases. Once 10.1 is released, there will be a release/1/ directory. For 10.2 there will be a release/2/ directory. And so on through the versions.

You just have to watch for patterns. ;)

Re: [Resolved] FreeBSD 10 pkgng not functioning properly

phoenix said:
You just have to watch for patterns. ;-)
Thanks again for your help. I usually am more thorough with these kinds of things, but I guess my brain is lazy today. :D

phoenix said:
Select the repo that works for your needs.

Ok, "latest" suits my needs:

Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/${ABI}/latest",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  signature_type: "fingerprints",
  fingerprints: "/usr/share/keys/pkg",
  enabled: yes
}

Why is there no "xorg" in the latest. Same with KDE. Can we please have these missing packages added? Its really annoying.

Last edited by DutchDaemon on 21 Jan 2014, 05:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Proper forum formatting // Use the right tags for the right things.
Good grief! Sorry to have disturbed your little kingdom, friend! You can delete me from the board if minor things such as this call for moderator edits! I certainly didn't post with leetspeak or some other nonsense. :-\

After we have installed what we wanted by changing latest to /release/0/ , does it make sense to go back to latest?
And second, will the latest directory have Xorg-7.7 in the near future?

BSDBernd said:
After we have installed what we wanted by changing 'latest' to '/release/0/' , does it make sense to go back to 'latest'?
And second, will the 'latest' directory have xorg-7.7 in the near future?

Good question.

I did this after installing xorg and kde. After going back to latest and trying an upgrade to see if there was anything newer:

Code:
root@desktop:/etc # pkg upgrade
pkg: Missing dependency matching 'x11/kdelibs4'
pkg: Missing dependency matching 'x11/libkonq'

And the list goes on...

I think I would leave /release/0 there for the moment. I would be too scared to install a package, some newer dependency for it exists in latest and it screws up some other already installed application that depends on it.

Thanks again phoenix.
I was about to trash FreeBSD. Only thing that stopped me was finding your post.

Much appreciated :)

willbprog127 said:
Last edited by DutchDaemon on 21 Jan 2014, 05:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Proper forum formatting // Use the right tags for the right things.
Good grief! Sorry to have disturbed your little kingdom, friend! You can delete me from the board if minor things such as this call for moderator edits! I certainly didn't post with leetspeak or some other nonsense. :-\

DutchDeamon's devoted yet tedious work has been keeping the board clean, plain and readable for many years, so bear with him. Correct tags etc. provide a major benefit in legibility and uniformitiy throughout the board and help maintain quality. These things seemed to work better/looked more distinctive in the old board, however.

ahhyes said:
And the list goes on...

I think I would leave /release/0 there for the moment. I would be too scared to install a package, some newer dependency for it exists in latest and it screws up some other already installed application that depends on it.

Not sure why all these packages are missing. With 10.0 being an official announced release this is a pretty poor experience.

I've been wondering a lot about FreeBSD lately, too. pkg_ removed to promote pkgng, but pkgng is not in the base though it claims to be the default package management system now. NTFS virtually removed save ntfs-3g which also must be post installed. Honestly, I feel this generation of FreeBSD developers, committing users, and maintainers are not as good as the ones before them. I'm certainly not trying to complain as I've enjoyed FreeBSD since 2.x but there just seems too much to handle for the team, in all, these days. Personally, I'm of the opinion that old hardware should be moved out and new hardware be moved in; stop supporting antiquated garbage. My wife puts in that FreeBSD probably does not want to be as tyrannical as other software OS companies, and I can see her point. I just wanted to mention that my first experience with FreeBSD-10 was also poor because of the lack of standards revolving around the entire OS these days.

t1m1976 said:
I've been wondering a lot about FreeBSD lately, too. pkg_ removed to promote pkgng, but pkgng is not in the base though it claims to be the default package management system now.

Imagine how unhappy you would be to have to upgrade FreeBSD to get a new version of pkg. When things get moved into the base, they become very difficult to upgrade. In ports, they can be upgraded daily. pkg has seen updates every couple of weeks or more.

NTFS virtually removed save ntfs-3g which also must be post installed.

From r241636:

Code:
Disconnect non-MPSAFE NTFS from the build in preparation for dropping
GIANT from VFS. This code is particulary broken and fragile and other
in-kernel implementations around, found in other operating systems,
don't really seem clean and solid enough to be imported at all.
If someone wants to reconsider in-kernel NTFS implementation for
inclusion again, a fair effort for completely fixing and cleaning it
up is expected.

In the while NTFS regular users can use FUSE interface and ntfs-3g
port to work with their NTFS partitions.

So it could be recovered, if someone were willing to do a substantial amount of work on it. On the other hand, 10.0 now has a native FUSE implementation, so ntfs-3g might be stable.

Honestly, I feel this generation of FreeBSD developers, committing users, and maintainers are not as good as the ones before them. I'm certainly not trying to complain as I've enjoyed FreeBSD since 2.x but there just seems too much to handle for the team, in all, these days.

Help is welcome, and there are numerous ways to contribute.

I appreciate your replies, and I understand everything you have said. "There's too much choice, to see, anymore." -- Love and Rockets

My favorite old terminal, Eterm, has turned into an echo box, now, and even Aterm refuses to start. It just feels as though the entire OS has become gummed-up because there's too much ported software to maintain with too many libs undergoing license changes and rebuilds. When I think of it that way, FreeBSD is doomed as a desktop because although it can deal with new, and old, hardware it does not have the number of people required to float all the software people are dumping on it.

I understand I shouldn't have been using a server-class OS as a desktop, anyways, but it hurts my heart to go elsewhere. I'm way off-topic now, but I wanted to mourn somewhere and I suppose this was the place for me.

Again, wblock, thank you for explaining the reasons why.

To get back to the thread topic, I use FreeBSD as a desktop, and just recently switched to FreeBSD 10 (-STABLE) and pkg and KMS video drivers. It works better than ever. Don't confuse application problems with operating system problems. In fact, you may be able to get those applications fixed by starting a new thread. Or use x11/xfce4-terminal, which I'm using successfully.

Sadly, I am struggling with this issue too! :x

Following instructions from https://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng I created the FreeBSD.conf file adding
Code:
FreeBSD: {
  url: "pkg+http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:32/latest/",
  mirror_type: "srv",
  enabled: yes
}
for a 32-bit OS. (As a side note I could not find any mention of FreeBSD.conf in the manual :q )

Have even tried removing the a repo-FreeBSD.sqlite file too. Recreating it when using pkg update

Still getting
Code:
pkg: No packages matching 'xorg' available in the repositories
when using pkg install xorg

Have confirmed that xorg-7.7 is available from http://pkg.freebsd.org/freebsd:10:x86:32/latest/All/xorg-7.7.txz

Surely missing something simple?

Lord know why but re-installed 10.0-RELEASE and used pkg install pkg then pkg install xorg and hey presto it worked! :q :q

spanglefox said:
Lord know why but re-installed 10.0-RELEASE and used pkg install pkg then pkg install xorg and hey presto it worked! :q :q

New set of packages was built on wednesday and the xorg meta port was built properly this time.

kpa said:
spanglefox said:

New set of packages was built on wednesday and the xorg meta port was built properly this time.

That's two rather significant broken ports/packages revisions in just the last week. Do those responsible for updating these facilities perform tests before accepting commits that affect the entire userbase? I can't contribute much, if anything, to FreeBSD development but I would be happy to be a tester in an effort to prevent unnecessary breakage.

Back