Small inaccuracy with the FreeBSD Handbook

Greetings,

I have discovered a small inaccuracy in the FreeBSD Handbook. I encountered the error when installing XFCE on FreeBSD 9.2.
The FreeBSD Handbook lists the PKGng command to install XFCE as follows: # pkg install xfce4. That command yields no results. However, the following command does work: # pkg install xfce.

Respectfully submitted,

hitest

I get the impression that this is more related to the repository than the handbook. First there is actually a port x11-wm/xfce4 so the naming seems correct. And when I try this using the current package manager this works as expected:

Code:
$ pkg_add -rn xfce4 | head -2
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.2-release/Latest/xfce4.tbz... Done.
Package dependency iceauth-1.0.6 for ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.2-release/Latest/xfce4.tbz not found!
As such I'm tempted to put the blame with the repository.

ShelLuser said:
I get the impression that this is more related to the repository than the handbook. First there is actually a port x11-wm/xfce4 so the naming seems correct. And when I try this using the current package manager this works as expected:

Code:
$ pkg_add -rn xfce4 | head -2
Fetching ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.2-release/Latest/xfce4.tbz... Done.
Package dependency iceauth-1.0.6 for ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9.2-release/Latest/xfce4.tbz not found!
As such I'm tempted to put the blame with the repository.

The PKGng system works differently than pkg_add. As you noted the command pkg_add -r xfce4 works. The command pkg install xfce4 does not work. It would be helpful if the command in the Handbook was edited.

Reported the error to the FreeBSD document project. I received a reply from Rene and the error will be corrected shortly.

I'm not sure it's a correction. pkg(8) does globbing, so pkg add xfce is going to try to add every package that starts with "xfce". But those are not all part of the main x11-wm/xfce4 port.

wblock@ said:
I'm not sure it's a correction. pkg(8) does globbing, so pkg add xfce is going to try to add every package that starts with "xfce". But those are not all part of the main x11-wm/xfce4 port.

I'm talking about the new package manager. The older pkg_add command is still there in the handbook. That is, pkg_add -r xfce4.

pkg install xfce is for the new package manager, PKGng.

wblock@ said:
Yes, pkg(8) is the new package system.

Okay. My point was that the older stated command for PKGng, pkg install xfce4, did not work. The new command does work and properly installs Xfce 4.10. pkg install xfce

Do you know why it might not be working for me? I get this:

Code:
$ sudo pkg install xfce
Updating repository catalogue
pkg: No packages matching 'xfce' available in the repositories

I'm on FreeBSD 10.0-RELEASE-p1 amd64 with PKGNG.

Back