Solved [Solved] FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE pkg_* tools config file

Hi. I'm still using FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE with pkg_* tools because there is some software that is in the repositories and isn't available for the new package management tool. The only problem I've is that I always have to put the ftp-archive.freebsd.org url to download packages, and that is a bit annoying... So I wanted to ask here if someone knows where is the config file so I can change the ftp url to one that is still working. I've been reading the man page but I couldn't find any info about the config file.

Thanks.

Re: FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE pkg_* tools config file

Unlike the new tool, the old ones used environment variables. In /root/.cshrc set PACKAGESITE:
Code:
setenv PACKAGESITE ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-9-stable/Latest

Don't forget that these tools have been deprecated and that pkg(8) is "now the only package management tool".
I suspect the official repositories will be shut down permanently in the coming few months.

Beastie said:
I suspect the official repositories will be shut down permanently in the coming few months.

I see packages all the way back to FreeBSD 1.0 on the FTP archives. I'm inclined to say any of the old official packages aren't going to disappear. There just won't be any new ones.

Beastie said:
Don't forget that these tools have been deprecated and that pkg(8) is "now the only package management tool".

The official repositories have already been shut down, that's why I needed to edit the config file so it now points to ftp-archive.freebsd.org (I was getting "file not found" errors). I know pkg_* tools are now deprecated, but in the new repositories there is no comix and no qvwm and nspluginwrapper is marked as forbidden... So until those details are corrected I'll keep using the old package management tools :p

This worked for me:
setenv PACKAGESITE [url=http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-9.1-release/Latest/]http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/Free ... se/Latest/[/url]

Thank you very much, to both of you.

I've just noticed that this doesn't work in X. I've edited the /root/.cshrc file, and pkg_add downloads packages from the correct location when I'm not in X, but if in X I open x11/xterm or x11/gnome-terminal and use pkg_add it tries to download packages from the old repository and not the ftp-archive.freebsd.org one.

c083d4 said:
So until those details are corrected I'll keep using the old package management tools :p

setenv PACKAGESITE [url=http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD-Archive/ports/i386/packages-9.1-release/Latest/]http://ftp-archive.freebsd.org/pub/Free ... se/Latest/[/url]
That repository only has packages that were created when 9.1-RELEASE came out, they've never been updated and are now almost 2 years old. Don't put any of that on the internet, it's likely to contain multiple security issues.

Thanks for the replies and recommendations, but nothing stopped me from keep using Windows FLP although MS has stopped supporting it, and nothing will stop me from keep using the old pkg_* tools (Also, as I said before, I've a reason for doing this: packages for some software that I use are not available for the new ports-mgmt/pkg, and either are available via ports) :p
Mine is just a desktop computer, not a server.

If packages from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports ... ble/Latest are newer then I will use these, but none of you have suggested me anything about how to fix my problem (I can set any repo that I want in /root/.cshrc and I'll be able to use it, but if I try to use it in X it just doesn't work, because pkg_add keeps trying to download packages from the ancient official repo that doesn't exist anymore. For example, this happens in x11/xterm and x11/gnome-terminal).

P.S.: Anybody knows exactly when will the "packages-9-stable" folder be deleted? Or if it is going to be moved to ftp-archive.freebsd.org? I guess sooner or later I'll have to download all the packages...

c083d4 said:
I've just noticed that this doesn't work in X. I've edited the /root/.cshrc file, and pkg_add downloads packages from the correct location when I'm not in X, but if in X I open x11/xterm or x11/gnome-terminal and use pkg_add it tries to download packages from the old repository and not the ftp-archive.freebsd.org one.
That's weird as I've used this configuration (with x11/xterm) for as long as I can remember.
Did you make sure the variables have been set properly (either by setting them manually or logging off then logging in again)?
Also, are you su(1)'ing to root from your user or running the command through a third-party application such as security/sudo?

c083d4 said:
nothing will stop me from keep using the old pkg_* tools
Of course you're free to use anything at your own risk but still, you should consider upgrading and finding alternatives.

I've never used www/nspluginwrapper but it is available as a pkg(8) package (at least for some systems). Where did you see it marked as forbidden?

The other ports you're looking for have indeed been deprecated because their sources have been unavailable (x11-wm/qvwm) or because they depended on deprecated software (graphics/comix).
You may want to check graphics/cbrpager and graphics/cbview. They may not be perfect but they can do the job.
If you like x11-wm/qvwm for it's similarity to Windows, then x11-wm/icewm and x11-wm/jwm may be to your taste.
x11-wm/fvwm is configurable to look and behave like anything, but it does take "some" effort.

c083d4 said:
If packages from ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports ... ble/Latest are newer then I will use these
Yes, -STABLE is always newer than -RELEASE, but those -STABLE packages are several months old and neither repositories will ever be updated.

Beastie said:
That's weird as I've used this configuration (with x11/xterm) for as long as I can remember.
Did you make sure the variables have been set properly (either by setting them manually or logging off then logging in again)?
Also, are you su(1)'ing to root from your user or running the command through a third-party application such as security/sudo?
I use Sudo, and I was wrong about it not working just in X... I've checked and pkg_add works properly in the root account, in text mode and also on X. The problem is in my user account, it doesn't work in text mode, neither on X.

Beastie said:
Of course you're free to use anything at your own risk but still, you should consider upgrading and finding alternatives.
I know :). I always consider everything, but I'm also used to use outdated software... So, as long as I don't encounter any problems, I don't think I'll upgrade. I just want a working desktop computer with encrypted system partition.

Beastie said:
I've never used www/nspluginwrapper but it is available as a pkg(8) package (at least for some systems). Where did you see it marked as forbidden?
www/nspluginwrapper isn't marked as forbidden, but textproc/linux-f10-expat (a dependency) is, so I can't build it.

Beastie said:
The other ports you're looking for have indeed been deprecated because their sources have been unavailable (x11-wm/qvwm) or because they depended on deprecated software (graphics/comix).
You may want to check graphics/cbrpager and graphics/cbview. They may not be perfect but they can do the job.
If you like x11-wm/qvwm for it's similarity to Windows, then x11-wm/icewm and x11-wm/jwm may be to your taste.
x11-wm/fvwm is configurable to look and behave like anything, but it does take "some" effort.
I also like IceWM, but now I just want to use Qvwm, although most of the time I'm on Gnome2. Thanks for the other recommendations. As for Cbrpager and Cbview and the rest of comic book readers, they just haven't worked for me (they just can't read cbr files, nothing happens when I try to open a cbr file, at least on Cbrpager, I don't remember if the others gave error messages or not), not even in the new releases (9.3, 10.0). The only one which has always worked fine for me is Comix.

c083d4 said:
Beastie said:
I know :). I always consider everything, but I'm also used to use outdated software... So, as long as I don't encounter any problems, I don't think I'll upgrade. I just want a working desktop computer with encrypted system, swap and data partitions.
But nothing really changes. Just the way you install binary packages. It's still the same FreeBSD you are used to. And if you are using binary packages you're really going to want to use pkg(8) as it's so much better than the old tools.

SirDice said:
c083d4 said:
Beastie said:
I know :). I always consider everything, but I'm also used to use outdated software... So, as long as I don't encounter any problems, I don't think I'll upgrade. I just want a working desktop computer with encrypted system, swap and data partitions.
But nothing really changes. Just the way you install binary packages. It's still the same FreeBSD you are used to. And if you are using binary packages you're really going to want to use pkg(8) as it's so much better than the old tools.

I know. I've already used 9.3-RELEASE and 10.0-RELEASE. I liked Pkg more than pkg_* tools... But in 9.3 my computer would restart everytime I tried to acces my NTFS partitions with Ntfs-3g, Steam doesn't work with the emulators/wine version both FreeBSD releases have in the ports collection and also they lack a decent comic book reader... Fortunately, 9.1-RELEASE just works, and I don't have anything to complain abut 9.1.

Currently I'm having only one problem: I've edited /root/.cshrc (and also my user's .cshrc) to change the repo but I can only use the new repo if I'm logged on the root account. If I do sudo pkg_add -rv <xxx> in my account, pkg_add tries to fetch the packages from the old repo that doesn't work anymore.

c083d4 said:
Currently I'm having only one problem: I've edited /root/.cshrc (and also my user's .cshrc) to change the repo but I can only use the new repo if I'm logged on the root account. If I do sudo pkg_add -rv <xxx> in my account, pkg_add tries to fetch the packages from the old repo that doesn't work anymore.
sudo(8) strips the environment variables for security reasons. You could try to add this to your sudoers:
Code:
Defaults env_keep += "PACKAGESITE"

Back