Mouse and keyboard don't work after startx

Since two weeks I've been trying to install BSD FreeBSD, but without success. I am following the handbook step by step.

• FreeBSD 10.0 - 64 bits (CD bootonly.iso)
  • My laptop: ASUS F3S with external monitor (VGA Plug); mouse Logitech wireless.
  • Chipset video: Nvidia GE8400M

Following the commands:
Code:
# /usr/sbin/pkg
# pkg2ng
# pkg install xorg
In /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Code:
# service hald start
# service dbus start

and finally: # startx

My display is grey/black; no X mouse cursor and the keyboard is not operational: no effect Ctrl+Alt+Fn; Ctrl+C What is the way to correct this problem? I don't configure X.Org following advice from @wblock@ (see my preceding thread in the Installing and Upgrading section: installation failed; black screen).

Thanks.

My file /var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.com/dQ8YbxNu

Last edited by a moderator:
Ports must be used to get the KMS drivers for Intel support. Packages will not do it, at least until the default changes to the KMS version of X. That may happen in a couple of weeks. Until then, ports must be used.

When I first started using FreeBSD I went the package route. After updating packages I would lose my keyboard and mouse. I only got them back after using ports for the x11-drivers/xorg-drivers. Since then I've kept X11 as a ports-based install.

Before completely deleting try portmaster x11-driver/xorg-drivers first. If ports-mgmt/portmaster isn't installed then install it via ports and then try running portmaster x11-driver/xorg-drivers. That should get your keyboard and mouse back.

Back