What Window Manager do you use on FreeBSD?

I'm using FreeBSD as desktop with XFCE4 - Clearlooks-Phenix theme + standard wallpaper. Nothing special.

More often than not, I'll just use the default X manager. But recently I've taken up the ports/x11-wm/i3 window manager (tiling). It seems to give a good user experience on real estate challenged devices, like my netbook. Also - forward looking - it may work well with that FreeBSD tablet I'm dreaming about...

I use stumpwm since I've been using it for years. Great window manager, too bad the port's been broken for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use DWM for my work machine and CDE for my home machine.

CDE is great because it has barely any dependencies outside X11 and Xm, only stores files in /usr/dt, /etc/dt, /var/dt rather than spamming itself everywhere and ironically has more features than modern desktop environments (CDE was originally developed commercially so it has fantastic functionality).

I have only FreeBSD servers. My desktops run OpenBSD. Using cwm. I would use the same if I had a FreeBSD desktop.

I'm using it as my desktop, and I use Compiz. I was using the port version, and now I'm using the latest release. It has some bug fixed, comparing with the port version.

I use stumpwm since I've been using it for years. Great window manager, too bad the port's been broken for a while.
Yeah, x11-wm/stumpwm is in a sad state because of the common LISP ports. Until they start using quicklisp, I've found it best to install StumpWM manually. It's only one binary (or two if you use stumpish).

Why choose?

I copied an .xinitrc from somewhere (sorry, I don't remember).
Code:
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
xcompmgr -c -f -D 5 -o 1 &
feh --bg-scale wallpaper/1311629.png

if [ -d /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d ]; then
       for f in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/*; do
                [ -x "$f" ] && . "$f"
       done
       unset f
fi

# default
session=${1:-xmonad}

case $session in
    awesome           ) exec awesome;;#installed
    anti|antiwm       ) exec antiwm;;#installed
    spectrwm|spectr   ) exec spectrwm;;#installed
    weewm             ) exec weewm;;#installed
    wmii              ) exec wmii    ;;#installed
    twm               ) exec twm;;##installed
    bspwm             ) exec bspwm;;#not
    catwm             ) exec catwm;;#not
    cinnamon          ) exec cinnamon-session;;#not
    dwm               ) exec dwm;;#installed
    enlightenment     ) exec enlightenment_start;;#installed
    ede               ) exec startede;;#not
    fluxbox           ) exec startfluxbox;;#installed
    gnome             ) exec gnome-session;;#not
    gnome-classic     ) exec gnome-session --session=gnome-classic;;#not
    i3|i3wm           ) exec i3;;#installed
    icewm             ) exec icewm-session;;#not installed
    jwm               ) exec jwm;;#not
    kde               ) exec startkde;;#not
    mate              ) exec mate-session;;#not
    monster|monsterwm ) exec monsterwm;;#not
    notion            ) exec notion;;#not
    openbox           ) exec openbox-session;;#not
    unity             ) exec unity;;#never
    xfce|xfce4        ) exec startxfce4;;#not
    xmonad            ) exec xmonad;;#installed
    rat|ratpoison     ) exec ratpoison;;#installed
    # No known session, try to run it as command
    *) exec $1;;
esac
I just xinit xmonad most of the time but I play with others.

I have at the moment no server running, I am quite new to all this stuff :).
But I use FreeBSD indeed as a desktop.
I use extensively i3 and Xfce. Xfce is very fast and can be real eye candy and i3 is brilliant too :). There are of course lots of other window managers and desktop environments available in FreeBSD, f.e. there is
lumina which, although in its early stage of development, is also a good candidate for a desktop environment (and which I also use).

1. Desktop
  2. x11-wm/i3
EE9Qieh.png

I had been using x11-wm/jwm with my older hardware for a long time, but recently went to it on my main desktop, and I wish I had done so sooner. Pairing it with x11-wm/compton for compositing provides an incredibly light, but beautiful desktop. I also am a big fan of how JWM uses /usr/local/etc/system.jwmrc for all of the configuration. Themes are as simple as editing the color and style values in the file; the only thing I changed from the default would be the title bar color, I hate orange. I also searched the forum for JWM discussions, several people had mentioned remembering a site with pre-made themes but couldn't find it. That site would be the static DSL (Linux) forum - http://damnsmalllinux.org/static/act-Print/f-34/t-19504.html

Here are some screenshots:
M5zttos.jpg

dC9Fzov.jpg

KaliWTU.jpg

I use x11-wm/wm2 because it is simple and reminds me of rio on Plan 9. On OpenBSD I use cwm and I use FVWM2 and TWM on two Slackware boxes.

wm2 is very simple and clean, and the defaults are sane. It Just Works.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back