Prevent pkg install to re-install dependencies

Code:
[~]# pkg install php55-filter
The following 2 packages will be installed:

Reinstalling php55-5.5.8 (options changed)
        Installing php55-filter: 5.5.8

pkg insist on reinstalling the PHP package because the options changed. However, this will break my existing PHP install (I added php-fpm), and installing php55-filter will work fine without reinstalling it (In other words: I know what I'm doing™).

Is there any way to prevent this?

So, while this "works", I now have to 'lock' almost every package in my system, to prevent upgrading 40 packages to some portrevision or minor update, or, more often than not, something I intentionally compiled myself with a different option.

pkg install -d pkgname

Where -d is "don't update any dependencies".

After all, I'm asking for *install*, not *update*. This seems to be a missing feature?

Carpetsmoker said:
After all, I'm asking for *install*, not *update*. This seems to be a missing feature?
I'm not too sure about that. In the end I think it simply boils down to the issue of mixing the use of binary packages and the Ports collection. And that is usually a recipe for trouble, to my knowledge it always has been.

ShelLuser said:
Carpetsmoker said:
I'm not too sure about that. In the end I think it simply boils down to the issue of mixing the use of binary packages and the Ports collection. And that is usually a recipe for trouble, to my knowledge it always has been.

It's perfectly fine, in fact, I would say mixing ports & packages is almost always the most sensible thing to do.

For example, installing all the mplayer dependencies as a package, while installing mplayer as a port with the GUI option disabled, and then install a package that depends on mplayer. Seems perfectly fine to me.
Or, in my original example, installing the php port with php-fpm option enabled, and then install a bunch of extensions as a package.

The only (potential) problem I can think of, is installing a bunch of ports with an up-to-date port tree, and then installing a package, which is linked against an older version of a library (ie. libfoo.so.5, while you have libfoo.so.6 installed). Well, this problem is not only quite rare, it's also easily diagnosed & fixed.

Back