Make the [user] tag link to user profile?

I remember this request has been brought up somewhere before, but I couldn't find it. I remember that the USER tag couldn't link to a profile because vBulletin didn't support this without having a custom module for that exact purpose. With the move to PHPBB, you can now make the USER tag link to user profiles. According to Knowledge Base - Link To User Profiles With Username, you simply have to use a different parameter to memberlist.php. Example: /memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&un=Savagedlight. If you implement it and apply styling, the user tag could look and act like this: @Savagedlight, but without the underline. :)

Edit: Here's a test of only the user tag: @Savagedlight.

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears to fail when referring to a username with an @. Like @wblock@.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just tested that, and it seems like it's a problem with the bbcode itself, because when I check with ...&un=wblock@, it shows the profile page. Maybe the regex used to define what goes between the opening and closing bracket needs some tweaking?

PHPBB spouts off warnings about XSS vulnerabilities when using {TEXT} instead of {SIMPLETEXT}. The latter only encompasses bare ASCII, the former would comprise @. May experiment.

Edit: overruled the warning. Unfortunately, any posts using user tags around a username with a @ in it that were made between activating the clickable user tag, and the 'expanded' user tag (so, anything in the past 24 or so hours), need to be edited and reposted. Note that some actual editing needs to take place for this to 'catch'.

Back