[XFCE] autostart of conky

I have some problems autostarting conky.

I added the conky script to the autostarter (via session and startup) and it resides in /home/user/.config/autostart/conky

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=conky
Comment=
Exec=/usr/loca/bin/conky
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false

The Problem is, that it starts in the background, but is not being displayed on the desktop (after starting the computer physically)
If I kill x and start it again it works, but not after a real boot.

My other idea was to put it into the /home/user/.xinitrc.
Code:
conky &
startxfce4

If i do startx, i can see conky starting, but then the desktop wallpaper puts itself "over" conky and conky is no longer visible.

How do you automatically start conky on your machine?

I think it's starting fine but the desktop is being redrawn by xfdesktop.

In your .conkyrc, enable double buffering (double_buffer yes).
And if it still doesn't work, try changing own_window_type to override.

I have those settings, but if I start conky from .xinitrc, it always starts in its own window instead of blending with the desktop. I'm now simply starting conky with a launcher after XFCE has started ;) Works fine.

DutchDaemon said:
I have those settings, but if I start conky from .xinitrc, it always starts in its own window instead of blending with the desktop. I'm now simply starting conky with a launcher after XFCE has started ;) Works fine.
Probably because you're missing own_window no, which uses the desktop instead of creating a separate window.

Oh, I tried 'own_window no', but that results in a cat and mouse game: either I see conky, or I see my desktop icons. When I use the one, I lose the other. They're battling for the foreground, or something.

So I just created a desktop icon (launcher) for Conky, with the /usr/local/bin/conky command line in it, and it works just fine.

I will share my .conkyrc, i manage to put conky top of wallpaper.
~/.confgi/.conkyrc
I set "background no" in conkyrc, because in my ~/.xinitirc i already run conky in background.

Attachments

• .conkyrc.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 674
So I tried Conky and I like it.

conky -C > ~/.conkyrc
Do not start Conky, but have it output the builtin default config file to ~/.conkyrc for later customising.
If conkyrc is in /root/ mv it to /home/user/

killall -SIGUSR1 conky
To shut it down.

PS: change eth0 to your lan card you want to monitor.

Back