1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virtualbox extension pack

Discussion in 'Porting New Software' started by sk8harddiefast, Nov 23, 2011.

1. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Member

What's about virtualbox extension pack? I see this option on Vbox but none extpack on ports. Downloading and trying to install extension pack from official site (All platforms) refuses to install it. Any way to port extension pack?
    Code:
    [B]uname -a[/B]
    FreeBSD Universe 9.0-RC1 FreeBSD 9.0-RC1 #1: Tue Nov 15 13:00:17 EET 2011     root@Universe:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  amd64

2. Dru

Dru New Member

Additions/extension pack...same difference.

3. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Member

Yes but I try to install Iatkos L1 on virtualbox and because thereis no guest additions for hackintosh, somewhere I read that needs extension pack. Also I can use the USB2 option on Virtualbox preferences.

4. Dru

Dru New Member

sk8hard, well you might have me there.

The wiki call for items in the "extension pack" that are present in the additions, such as the WDDM driver, so it appeared to just be how things were named, though I just went to the USB support settings in my VirtualBox and 2.0 was also unchecked, and calls for an "extension pack" to be installed.

Myself I don't use USB on a VM enough to worry about the 2.0, but I can understand wanting to install Iatkos L1, used to run the old 10.4 Tiger alpha. I'll do a little more checking into it today also.

5. adamk

adamk New Member

The extensions pack is not supported on FreeBSD. It is a proprietary add-on and is needed for the host to support a few things, such as remote desktop. The vbox OSE version in the FreeBSD ports tree does support VNC instead. The extension pack is needed for USB support on other operating systems, but on FreeBSD, USB works if you simply follow these directions: http://wiki.freebsd.org/VirtualBox#USB_support

I do not know if that includes USB2, however.

If the WDDM driver does, in fact, require not only guest additions in the guest and the extension pack installed in the host, it will certainly not work with a FreeBSD host. The older direct3d driver does work (at least for me) in an XP guest on a FreeBSD host, however.

Adam

6. Dru

Dru New Member

7. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Member

Ok. Just tomorrow I will put 16G DDR3 RAM on my tower. I will setup a lot of virtual machines on my VirtualBox and their hdd's will be on NAS :) I will use FreeBSD as host, to serve virtual machines :) Just I want to make guest Oses to properly work. And the first step is to make my VirtualBox work without errors or problems :)

8. Dru

Dru New Member

sk8hard, while you're at it, send 16Gb of DDR2 this way, and I'll do the same. :p Had been actually debating on the jump to 64 myself sometime soon as more RAM would be nice.

Kinda getting offtopic here, I apologize, but I love virtualization in FreeBSD, it would be nice to have VirtualBox running as a host with vga passthrough on a secondary card someday. Xen seems to be working, or closer, on other systems though.

9. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Member

16G DDR2 not costing so much. You can do the same :) My 16G DDR3 RAMS costs 100 euro :)
    FreeBSD/Xen?