1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

usb keyboard makes sound stutter

Discussion in 'Peripheral Hardware' started by eronte, Oct 1, 2009.

1. eronte

eronte New Member

Hi all, greets from Chile. Recently installed a freebsd machine, and found this forum.

I scavenged a usb keyboard, and decided to try it on freebsd (7.2-RELEASE-p3). The keyboard works fine (on console and xorg+hald), but using a key that lights a led (caps lock, num lock, etc), makes the sound output stutter. I've checked UPDATING and run a few searches (google, and this forum... ok, two searches =) looking for a reference, but it looks like I'm the only one with this problem.

Has anybody had similar symptoms? (And does anyone know how to solve this problem?). Thanks in advance!

2. eronte

eronte New Member

Just a quick update... I had a custom kernel, so I tried a GENERIC kernel, but the stutter is still there. I checked with

systat -vmstat 1

and the activity goes wild when I use the keys. Nothing else for now. Greets!

3. eronte

eronte New Member

4. Beastie

Beastie Member

Have you tried using another USB keyboard, or better, a PS2 keyboard if you have the appropriate port?

Maybe you could also give 8.0RCs a try or wait for RELEASE as it has a new USB stack. Just an idea...

5. eronte

eronte New Member

Today I comandeered a usb keyboard from a Mac (not the best to try, but it was already there, so...). Same results. And the "current" keyboard is a Sun model 6. I'll look for some other usb keyboard tomorrow (BTW, the ps2 keyboard works fine, I decided to try the Sun keyboard just for fun). Thanks for the advice!

6. Carpetsmoker

Carpetsmoker Member

This is usually a hardware problem caused by:

o Bad power supply. Solution is simple: Replace power supply

o Lack of proper grounding for the connector, depending on your connectors this may or may not be easy to MacGyver it into something working (i.e. solder on a wire).

o Broken/bad contacts. Not a whole lot you can do really.

7. eronte

eronte New Member

Greets again. I tried a ubuntu cd and checked (with top) the idle %. On ubuntu looks normal (never went below 95% while hammering the keys). Same key-pressing-fest went as low as 1.1% on freebsd, so I don't think it's hardware related. I'll give 8.0 a try soon (next week perhaps). Thanks for the suggestions!

8. jurrien

jurrien New Member

I have the same issue with a Microsh*t Ergo 4000 USB keyboard on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE-p4. PS/2 was always fine but the USB has always had this issue.

I does however seem related to the video driver. I do have the issue with binary NVIDIA driver for FreeBSD enabled, but I do not have the stutter with the native open source NV driver.

Jurrien

9. sixtydoses

sixtydoses New Member

Yea I have the same issue too after replacing my ps/2 keyboard with Gigabyte GK-K6800 usb keyboard. Am running on fbsd 7.2 p3. The num and caps lock are not working properly but am not that bothered anyway. I do think I have some problems with my power supply.

10. eronte

eronte New Member

Hi, long time no see. I have the same driver (binary nvidia). Never thought that could be the culprit. I'll check (different driver) and report. Greets!