1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to install KDE

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by tearsoftheriver, Jun 4, 2012.

1. tearsoftheriver

tearsoftheriver New Member

I have a problem that I am currently following the a tutorial I found on YouTube about how to install KDE, the link is given below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKc2KBkQCyU&feature=relmfu

The tutorial is meant for 8.1 but I'm using it on version 9. I got into a problem, the first thing that I did:

I ran the code below:
    pkg_add -r xorg
    but it gave an error:

Code:
    ERROR: Unable to get 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9.0-release/latest/xorg.tbz'
    I also got another error that said that it was unable to detect the URL but I kind of forgot to write that down. I have the internet connection secure and connected at all times. Could someone please tell me what to do?

2. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The FTP site is case sensitive. latest is not the same as Latest.

3. tearsoftheriver

I don't really understand what you mean by case sensitive as I did not really do anything except run the command. The error was self generated can you please elaborate?

4. tearsoftheriver

Could someone please tell me what is wrong? I'm really confused and I've been waiting for a reply for the whole day.

Thanks in advance.

5. graudeejs

graudeejs Member

Code:
    ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-9.0-release/[red]L[/red]atest/xorg.tbz

6. fonz

fonz Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I think the problem is that the OP simply used pkg_add(1) and therefore didn't type any URLs manually. Perhaps manually setting PACKAGEROOT or one of those other environment variables might help?

7. tearsoftheriver

I think that the manually adding URL thing was what happened. How do you manually add packages? And guys all I want to do is install KDE 4 on freebsd FreeBSD 9, so if I'm doing something wrong could you guys tell me, or if there is a simple way of doing it, coz because the tutorial does not really seem to be working so far.

8. SirDice

9. tearsoftheriver

Ok guys, I did the installation fine and everything went good but now the mouse and keyboard does not work. I do'nt know what to do?

10. SirDice

[thread=4224]Configuring X - read before you ask questions![/thread]

11. tearsoftheriver

I did enable hald and dbus both but they are not moving, that's why I'm asking what's wrong?