1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synaptics issues and confusion

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by CodeBlock, Jul 16, 2009.

1. CodeBlock

CodeBlock New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone, I'm very new to FreeBSD (and BSD in general). I'm quite a bit more familiar with Linux, but I wanted to try BSD because I've heard a lot of good things about it. I've installed it on three computers, two desktops (which work fine). The computer in question is a laptop.

I've installed xorg, gnome2-lite, and synaptics, and have been following (or trying to follow) http://wiki.freebsd.org/SynapticsTouchpad . However, my issue is that I don't know where to put stuff like:
    Code:
    hw.psm.synaptics.min_pressure: 16

enable_moused="YES" is in /etc/rc.conf, and hw.psm.synaptics_support="1" is in /boot/loader.conf.

Do the other things (hw.psm.synaptics....) go in loader.conf, too? Or maybe sysctl.conf?

I put them in sysctl.conf and when I boot I get a lot of messages like:
    Code:
    /etc/rc.d/sysctl: WARNING: sysctl hw.psm.synaptics.____ does not exist.

..which makes me think it's the wrong file, or for some reason the synaptics_support="1" isn't working. The scroll area on the side of the mouse isn't working either.
    Here's what I have in sysctl.conf...
    Code:

hw.psm.synaptics.min_pressure=111
    hw.psm.synaptics.max_pressure=220
    hw.psm.synaptics.max_width=1
    hw.psm.synaptics.tap_max_delta=80
    hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_ver_area=-600
    hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_hor_area=1300
    hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_min_delta=50
    hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_div_min=100
    hw.psm.synaptics.vscroll_div_max=150

It's a gateway M-6843 laptop. Any help would truly be appreciated. I'm new to BSD as I said above, and really am starting to like it, but I need a few small issues fixed (such as this, and a few more that I'll get to when the time comes).

Thanks for any help.

2. Galactic_Dominator

Galactic_Dominator New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need to put the values in /etc/sysctl.conf not /boot/loader.conf

Also Wiki page has an error. Should be moused_enable="YES" not enable_moused="YES"