Serial weather device

Just curious, where to look or a starting place if you will, for capturing data on a serial port. I have an older hobbyist weather station that I would like to capture weather data from and input into daily CSV files. There is a third-party application out there called Wview, I am unsure how to install it on FreeBSD. My experience with installing software has been limited to the Ports system.

Running 7.4 Stable on an Optiplex 745 (older Pentium D 3.4, 2GB RAM)

Thank you.

I would probably use comms/minicom to look at the traffic, see how it's structured. Then build something using perl or python to read that data and write out the CSV.

I have wview running on FreeBSD 8.2. It compiled, installed, and configured quite easily. If you have any questions, let me know. My weather site has been active for just around 6 months. No problems at all.

-JB

wblock@ said:
wview will probably work fine, just change the serial port name. Consider porting it.

I'm not sure how I missed this post, as I would have included it. At any rate, yes, it works wonderfully. I am now reading the porting docs. Perhaps I will have the time to send this upstream soon and help out.

-JB

Back