1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serial weather device

Discussion in 'Peripheral Hardware' started by toroamericano, May 1, 2012.

1. toroamericano

toroamericano New Member

Just curious, where to look or a starting place if you will, for capturing data on a serial port. I have an older hobbyist weather station that I would like to capture weather data from and input into daily CSV files. There is a third-party application out there called Wview, I am unsure how to install it on FreeBSD. My experience with installing software has been limited to the Ports system.

Running 7.4 Stable on an Optiplex 745 (older Pentium D 3.4, 2GB RAM)

Thank you.

2. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

3. toroamericano

toroamericano New Member

I am not too familiar with either of those, I will read up on them. Thank you.

4. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I would probably use comms/minicom to look at the traffic, see how it's structured. Then build something using perl or python to read that data and write out the CSV.

5. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

wview will probably work fine, just change the serial port name. Consider porting it.

6. toroamericano

toroamericano New Member

Thank you all for the replies. Looks like it is time to tinker.

7. jbjones

jbjones New Member

I have wview running on FreeBSD 8.2. It compiled, installed, and configured quite easily. If you have any questions, let me know. My weather site has been active for just around 6 months. No problems at all.

-JB

8. jbjones

jbjones New Member

I'm not sure how I missed this post, as I would have included it. At any rate, yes, it works wonderfully. I am now reading the porting docs. Perhaps I will have the time to send this upstream soon and help out.

-JB