1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

request : playonlinux

Discussion in 'Porting New Software' started by goraxmax, Aug 13, 2012.

1. goraxmax

goraxmax New Member

Hi all,

I want FreeBSD desktop more user friendly. So the binary of playonlinux:
    http://www.playonlinux.com/fr/download.html

Can help to this way.

Playonlinux use wine to install lot of applications from microsoft windows world with wine configuration ready to go.

Maybe creating a port could be easily (if linux binary are installed)
    and very helpfull for those like me who need some microsoft world applications.

Can you create it?
    :)

Thanks for all.

2. D4rkSilver

D4rkSilver New Member

I am not entirely sure how well would PlayOnLinux work on Linuxulator but I'm not sure I'de put my trust on a compatibility layer that runs on a compatibility layer...

Why not just using emulators/wine or emulators/wine-devel instead and have native wine??

3. goraxmax

goraxmax New Member

I don't know if a compatibility layer runs on a compatibility layer, and i am not able to give a response at this question :r
    Some one can look for it?

Using wine is better than nothing, but Playonlinux is a reference for those like me which like the most "usr friendly " desktop.

Playonlinux contain only scripts to download and set up a precise wine version linked with a precise software from playonlinux list (Microsoft office 2010, startcraft II, Diablo III, etc...)

It is possible to "translate" Playonlinux script for Freebsd? (into a new port?)

4. lme@

lme@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

It could work, but it needs some work to remove all the checks for Linux and Linuxisms.