1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendation for Server Virtualization

Discussion in 'Installing and Upgrading FreeBSD' started by nabioullinr, Apr 19, 2010.

1. nabioullinr

nabioullinr New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am planning on setting up a small FreeBSD server at home, which will generally have minimal usage (for now ntp, dns, dhcp, http, samba, and ssh for rsync), with a software RAID-1 and Ethernet link aggregation. I don't explicitly need virtualization, but I am thinking of it for flexibility. Any suggestions on which scheme and specific virtualization platform to use?

2. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you just want to isolate services from one another, then look into jails(8).

If you want to isolate things even more, with separate network stacks in each jail, then look into vimage().

Both of the above run on a single FreeBSD kernel (although each jail can run the userland of a different version of FreeBSD).

If you want to run different OSes, then look into VirtualBox, which is available in ports at emulators/virtualbox-ose.

carlton_draught thanks for this.
  3. jdereus

jdereus New Member

Thanks Received: