1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Read anything interesting lately?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Uniballer, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Uniballer

Uniballer Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently read Bruce Schneier's latest book , "Liars and Outliers".

This is not a how-to book. It won't make your code more secure. I doubt that it would serve as a manual on human interactions for extraterrestrials. Nor is it likely to improve a bank loan officer's percentage of good loans, or an eBay buyer's choice of sellers, or your ability to detect email phishing or a corporation whose accountants have cooked the books. But it might shape your understanding of all that stuff.

Liars & Outliers is a look at how trust works in society, with passing references to neuroscience, economics and game theory. Along with a description of how the negative feedback of societal pressure is supposed to work is an explanation of why it doesn't work so well on-line and with large corporations.

bbzz thanks for this.
  2. NewGuy

NewGuy Member

Thanks Received:
    Just finished The Mammoth Book Of Comic Fantasy II, which is a collection of funny short stories in the fantasy genre. Really good, light read. There is a wide variety of stories from many authors and I really enjoyed it. Also, The Dispossessed by Ursula K LeGuin, it's probably the best science fiction story I've read. It follows a scientist who moves from his communist/anarchist planet where people are peaceful and practical to a planet of capitalists who live in a rigid legal system. It's amazingly well written and offers some fascinating looks into life on both worlds. I highly recommend it.

3. Trihexagonal

Trihexagonal New Member

Thanks Received:
    Have you ever read her story The Lathe of Heaven, or seen the movie? About a guy who has dreams that alter reality and the psychiatrist who takes advantage of his power?

4. pkubaj

pkubaj Member

Thanks Received:
    Currently reading Millennium by Stieg Larsson. I haven't read a better book for a really long time.
    I also read the well known Absolute FreeBSD 2nd edition by Michael Lucas. Haven't yet found a better resource about FreeBSD.

5. roddierod

roddierod Member

Thanks Received:
    History Begins at Sumer: Thirty-Nine Firsts in Recorded History by Samuel Noah Kramer.

Gives you a entirely new perspective on the phrase "there is nothing new under the sun".

6. Crivens

Crivens Member

Thanks Received:
    "The daemon haunted world", by Carl Sagan.
    Pretty interesting in many regards.

What I also can recommend is "Influence" by Robert B. Cialdini. Ever wanted how it can be that a complete village poisoned itself willingly? Read this.

7. UNIXgod

UNIXgod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm (slowly) reading SICP right now. I really like it. Kinda miss these types of books.

Has anyone read "Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid"

It's recommended on tech lists. I'm curious if its really a classic or one of those books people recommend but don't really read.

I've heard of "Liars and Outliers". I'll put that on my list of future reads.

8. initpy

initpy New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did, 14 years ago. And I absolutely loved it!
    If I were to "classify" it, I'd put it in a category
    that won't include anything else. Really.

9. sossego

sossego Active Member

Thanks Received:
    "On War" by Carl Clauswitz.
    "Holes" by Louis Sachar.
    Sections three and four of "Gulliver's Travels" by Jonathon Swift.
    And the back of a box of Booberry cereal.

10. NewGuy

NewGuy Member

Thanks Received:
    No, I don't think I've read that one. But I'm a huge fan of LeGuin's work so I will definitely try to find a copy. Thank you for the recommendation!