Re-installing FreeBSD on VirtualBox

as you can see in the image, installation freezes on ZFS configuration, and when I tried UFS partition, installation fails because it attempts to fetch a file from a folder that doesn't exist on the FTP server.
is it because I have an old .iso version?

Attachments

• FreeBSD.png
    FreeBSD.png
    60.4 KB · Views: 51
  • FreeBSD2.png
    FreeBSD2.png
    78.3 KB · Views: 50
  • FreeBSD3.png
    FreeBSD3.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 55
as you can see in the image, installation freezes on ZFS configuration, and when I tried UFS partition, installation fails because it attempts to fetch a file from a folder that doesn't exist on the FTP server.
is it because I have an old .iso version?

Yes it says it in the second picture. FreeBSD 13.0. That's a while ago and EOL.
Try download 13.3 or 14.0 and it should work better.

ok, isn't offline installation possible though, is it necessary to communicate with the server (asking in case I decide to install it as primary OS, network problems are possible)

It's better to use FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-amd64-bootonly.iso and fetch the required files from the internet during the installation instead of using the full DVD1. You need to have internet access in your VM to use bootonly.iso.

ok, isn't offline installation possible though, is it necessary to communicate with the server (asking in case I decide to install it as primary OS, network problems are possible)
Sure. Download a .iso image which contains all necessary distribution sets: kernel, base, ports, src. No internet needed to install complete system.

As a compressed file:
FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso.xz 790216108

Or uncompressed
FreeBSD-14.0-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso 1139748864

FreeBSD-13.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso.xz 802174252
FreeBSD-13.3-RELEASE-amd64-disc1.iso 1111724032

I had lots of trouble using the online fetcher/installer and found the DVD image to work smoother…but I’m new to FreeBSD so take it with a grain of salt.

Bootonly requires network to install the OS. Other ISOs have more content but may need network depending on what is selected.

Unfortunately you are not told while selecting content by the installer what needs network and will get a warning that it will be fetched on the next screen and then errors accordingly if trying when the content is unreachable. Perhaps it is an easy thing that could be fixed so that menu choices that are not on local media can be listed as '...(internet)' or similar so users can decide to not add them at the selection screen instead of from a warning + trial & error to figure out what will be downloaded. The warning after selection could be kept, but it is implied if selection is made clear to the user.

If you select something and it says it will have to be downloaded, but you have no network, just restart the installer completely; just trying to go back a step will cause it to append the next selections to the previous selections that are not cleared when choosing to go back and then you get errors because it tries to install content over the already installed content. It is bug that I have not tried to look for and open a PR if unknown; possibly other bugs exist where 'go back' doesn't forget other selections.

I guess I thought of 'the installer' to mean the media as a while instead of just restarting the bsdinstall script set, either through its restart-the-installation type of option or by exiting and reentering bsdinstall. There is other sillyness to be had when realizing that choosing auto for filesystem layout gives you swap of one size while choosing a more manual layout and then choosing auto as it is presented further in changes how much swap you get to be another size.

Because OP posted the picture of that at first. Otherwise he can use as per his hardware. It is better to try off line installation as you don't have to configure the Wi-Fi connection ( if not ethernet ). If you have the stick once, then can try/play as many times as you like ( even after few years ).

Back