1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ports/Package Options in new 9.1 install

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by shepper, Mar 2, 2013.

1. shepper

shepper Member

Thanks Received:
    I successfully install FreeBSD 9.1 on an old laptop with apm/wireless and am now looking at installing a lightweight desktop similar to that described recently in the howto.

Questions:
    1. Does anyone have insight as to how the binary packages for 9.1 are coming along? I would love to utilize pkgng.
    2. If I go with ports - I installed the ports collection that came on the USB installer. The date stamp is from December 3, 2012. I am debating deleting /usr/ports and starting with a fresh portsnap. If I start with ports and binary packages become available can I transition to pkgng?

2. fonz

fonz Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    To be honest, I have no idea. Some communication from the devs would be nice.

Why?

Well, I suppose that once binary packages have been made available you could deinstall your ports (do remember to make a list of what you have installed!) and reinstall binary packages, if that's what you want.

3. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Thanks Received:
    The conversion to pkgng translates the existing package information to the pkgng database, AFAIK. Also realize that there are still old-style pkg_add(1) packages around, and will be for quite a while. Although they have not been updated lately, which is a separate problem.

Even on slow machines, I prefer to use ports. Packages are canned things that either don't have all the options I need enabled, or depend on not-installed versions of things.

Once the repositories for pkgng are up and available, the situation may change.

4. shepper

shepper Member

Thanks Received:
    @fonz

Why?

I am starting with just the base install - a clean slate and believe that I have a release ports tree. I want to start with an up-to-date ports tree. Will there be new packages with the old-style pkg_add? I am leaning toward building the ports with pkgng. After updating ports I will add
    Code:
    WITH_PKGNG=	yes

to /etc/mk.conf

5. DutchDaemon

DutchDaemon Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Thanks Received:
    /etc/make.conf

6. fonz

fonz Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    If you already have a release ports tree you can just start using portsnap(8). No need to remove anything.

All 9.X-releases will probably still be using the current pkg_add(1) format.

7. tiny

tiny New Member

Thanks Received:
    Honestly, I do like ports too. And on an old machine running portsnap fetch update doesn't take too long, but when followed by portmaster -a it can easily take 2+ days to complete an update on my old laptop and I think binary's might be better suited for the old machine.