1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ports dependencies and port tools

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by richs-lxh, May 11, 2010.

1. richs-lxh

richs-lxh New Member

Hi everybody

After a fresh install and a portsnap fetch, extract and update, I came across the same as the person in this thread:
    http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=13904

Basically gtk20 issues with dependencies being incompatible. I managed to get it sorted (more or less) by going through and reinstalling each dependency that was complaining.

I am now at "libpng.so5 not found" which means I can't use my Terminator terminal, although other gui apps seem ok.

After reading the above thread and the links provided by DutchDaemon to ports-mgmt/portmaster and ports-mgmt/portupgrade, I decided to post and ask advice.

I basically want to avoid this dependency problem in the future so I want learn some good practise now. Which of those two apps would be better, Portmaster or Portupgrade?

Before i continue installing new apps from ports, I would like to get libpng.so5 installed correctly and my ports collection stabilized.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. graudeejs

graudeejs Member

I prefer portmaster because it's a simple sh script, that doesn't require anything else.
    Portupgrade also maintains it's own database, and this is another reason why I prefer portmaster. Portmaster gathers all info from /var/db, and doesn't need own database.

for info how to upgrade apps you should check /usr/ports/UPDATING periodically

3. richs-lxh

richs-lxh New Member

Thanks. After a reinstall, I was a but worried about having to go through it again. It's a bit time consuming.

Before installing anyhting else and risking more dependency problems, what would you suggest as my best solution.

I currently need libpng.so5, but I really want to try and get everything upgraded now, before I start deinstalling and reinstalling again.

I read up on upgrades last time, and thought I had done it correctly but ended up with no kernel at boot, and a reinstall.

The portmaster option sounds the way to go, but I am still a bit nervous of borking the system again.

4. richs-lxh

richs-lxh New Member

5. DutchDaemon

DutchDaemon Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

You can give this script a try to stay up to date with the ports tree and installed ports.

6. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Always read /usr/ports/UPDATING before starting.

This has nothing to do with your ports.

7. richs-lxh

richs-lxh New Member

Ok, I have now read-up on /usr/ports/UPDATING

And have installed the portupdater script.

Everything now up to date and running nicely,

Thanks for the help.