1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pkg2ng help please

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by kapetros, Oct 16, 2012.

1. kapetros

kapetros New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I'm on FreeBSD 9.0 Stable, and after todays ports update, I show the new pkg2ng thing.
    Is this only for Current? because it broke my pkgdb, after executing the portmaster instructions in ports Updating file.

2. cpm

cpm Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    Please read carefully:

3. wmoreno3

wmoreno3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    That is seems, to be use with stable version ?

Code:
    20121015:
      AFFECTS: users of ports-mgmt/portmaster
      AUTHOR: bdrewery@FreeBSD.org

Portmaster now supports pkgng. To use pkgng, enable the patch in the port,
      enable pkgng in your make.conf, and convert your existing /var/db/pkg
      database. Also see UPDATING entry 20121010 if you are on a recent CURRENT
      and do not want to use pkg.

# make -C /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/portmaster config build deinstall install clean
      # echo 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' >> /etc/make.conf
      # pkg2ng

20121015:
      AFFECTS: users of ports-mgmt/portupgrade
      AUTHOR: bdrewery@FreeBSD.org

Portupgrade now supports pkgng. To use pkgng, enable it in your make.conf,
      and convert your databases.

# echo 'WITH_PKGNG=yes' >> /etc/make.conf
      # pkg2ng
      # pkgdb -fu

4. kpa

kpa Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    To make the point more clear, the mentioned tools do support PKGNG but nothing forces you to use PKGNG at this point. It's only if you're on 10-CURRENT PKGNG is turned on by default.

5. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    It's not only for -CURRENT. It works just fine on my 9-STABLE. But you have to realise both portmaster(8) and portupgrade(1) use the 'old' style pkg_tools. It stores it's data differently and thus these tools can't handle it. Hence the recent patches to both of them.

6. kapetros

kapetros New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well thanks for the answers, the thing is that when I run the pkg2ng, perl-5.16.0 didn't installed because it was installing files in the same place with p5-IO-Compress-2.055, so the conversion ended up in failure.

While executing the steps below to recover my system, pkgdb complained that there wasn't any packages in the database.
    Code:
    # rm -/var/db/pkg/pkgdb.db
    # pkgdb -Ffuv

For now luckily I had a backup of my system, so I restore it to the original state.

7. wmoreno3

wmoreno3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was using portmanager before, I think that I must be reinstall all system in order to rebuilds the system with portmaster, portupgrade or pkgng.

Code:
    server# make install clean
    /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg/work/pkg-1.0.1/pkg-static/pkg-static: not found
    *** Error code 127

Stop in /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/pkg.
    server#

8. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Thanks Received:
    No, but you should reinstall the port upgrade programs after rebuilding them with the patches so they will see the new package information. It's not just a rebuild, use make config in the port directory to turn on the pkgng patches.

wmoreno3 thanks for this.
  9. mariourk

mariourk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I had the same problem. I followed the instructions to use pkgng and suddenly my pkgdb was gone, the system kept telling me no packages were installed. Luckily I was able to undo all this, by restoring /var/db/pkg.bak, comment WITH_PKGNG=yes in /etc/make.conf and recompile ports-mgmt/portmaster and ports-mgmt/portupgrade without PKGNG support.

However, I do like to know what went wrong. Can someone explain this to me?

10. SirDice

Thanks Received:
    Nothing went wrong, it did exactly what it's supposed to do. PKGNG is a replacement for the pkg_tools. If you start using it the old tools won't work anymore. This is by design.

11. mariourk

mariourk New Member

Thanks Received:
    So, commands like
    Code:
    pkg_version -v | grep '<'
    suddenly don't work anymore? What am I supposed to use instead? Probably kicking in an open door, but is there some documentation that sheds some light on this? :q

12. SirDice

Thanks Received:
    Correct.

A similar command:
    # pkg version -v | grep '<'

pkg(8) (For some reason the FreeBSD manual browser doesn't seem to have it, it should be on your system though)

http://wiki.freebsd.org/pkgng

13. mariourk

mariourk New Member

Thanks Received:
    Aha, now I know what I did wrong.

Thanks for enlightening me :beer

14. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    And, for every pkg_* command, there is an equivalent "pkg *" command. It's not quite exactly 1:1, but it's very close.

For example:
    • pkg_add --> pkg add
    • pkg_version --> pkg version
    • pkg_info --> pkg info
    • pkg_delete --> pkg delete or pkg remove
    • pkg_audit --> pkg audit
    And so on.

Once you install pkg(8) and convert the package database using pkg2ng(8), don't ever touch the pkg_* tools again. Only use the pkg equivalents.

15. jb_fvwm2

jb_fvwm2 Active Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm wondering if anyone could code up a /ports-mgmt/legacy-pkg which would formulate a /var/db/pkg "v9" database on top of the pkg database after pkg is installed. (And maybe legacy command front-ends for the newer ones...)
    Sounds difficult, but I see no other reasons why not.

16. wmoreno3

wmoreno3 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am using the old system until pkg2ng is the default, in order to do not have any problem.

Code:
    FreeBSD mydomain 9.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE #0 r255898: Thu Sep 26 22:50:31 UTC 2013     root@bake.isc.freebsd.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64