1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pen drive

Discussion in 'Peripheral Hardware' started by berthani, May 25, 2010.

1. berthani

berthani New Member

How to boot the computers from the pen drive? Some people are saying that we can boot our pen drives. I am having an doubt whether it is possible or not. If it give me the procedure or a brief explanation about how to boot the system from pendrive.

2. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Stick the pen in, boot computer, select to boot from pendrive. That's the procedure.

Mind you not all BIOS' allow to boot from a USB stick. Most modern BIOS' do but you may have an old machine.

3. klanger

klanger New Member

Not available in intel-macbooks.

4. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

They don't even have a BIOS :p

5. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@OP: It most definitely is possible to boot from a USB flash drive. I do this at home, running FreeBSD 8-STABLE off a 2 GB Cruzer MicroDrive. It's connected to a USB2 port on a generic/el-cheapo P4 system. I've also done it with generic AMD Sempron systems, eeePC 701 and 1005H systems, and a handful of other random machines.

It requires USB Mass Storage support in the BIOS and the OS (which pretty much everything made in the last 3 years supports).