1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenBSD 5.1 includes Gnome 3.2.1 (fallback mode)

Discussion in 'GNOME' started by pacija, May 3, 2012.

1. pacija

pacija New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was quite surprised when I read that the latest OpenBSD release (5.1) includes fallback mode of Gnome 3.2.1.

Any comments?

2. kpedersen

kpedersen Member

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, the fallback mode only limitation is purely because of a technical issue in OpenBSD. (Something to do with the Mesa support).

Once it has been worked out, I am quite certain that OpenBSD users will be subject to the same Gnome 3 torture as most other Open-source fans.

3. pacija

pacija New Member

Thanks Received:
    Tried to give it a spin in Virtualbox. Gdm is not available through packages, marked as broken in ports.

4. curtisk

curtisk New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've just installed OpenBSD with gnome and it chose gnome3 because I didn't specify what version to install, as normally I get gnome 2 but any way this fallback mode is awful and as pacija wrotes GDM doesn't work.

5. malco_2001

malco_2001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    OpenBSD 5.2 beta includes Gnome 3.4. Gnome Shell works. No GDM though.

6. baot

baot New Member

Thanks Received:
    OpenBSD has GNOME 3 but we still don't, that's hard to believe..

7. ChalkBored

ChalkBored Member

Thanks Received:
    I consider it a feature.

8. freemason

freemason New Member

Thanks Received:
    They also have SWITCHABLE BACKLIGHT !!!
    And some hibernation support...

9. graudeejs

graudeejs Well-Known Member

Thanks Received:
    That made my day

To the rest:
    Shut up and hack (OpenBSD style) (J/K)

10. break19

break19 New Member

Thanks Received:
    *sings hackers codin' in da HOUSE tonight... all programmers gonna have a good time.. my codin' skills gon' make you LOOOSE yo mind... *

11. fender0107401

fender0107401 Member

Thanks Received:
    GNOME 3 is so suck!

In my opinion, GNOME 3 is so suck! I run FreeBSD as my personal server, but Debian as my desktop. Recently, I have tried GNOME 3 with Debian testing and that is so ugly! I have decided to run Xfce. In other words, I think I will not run GNOME anymore.

12. darcsis

darcsis New Member

Thanks Received:
    actually we have experimental ports for GNOME 3.x, which I have been running for months. The ports are NOT very stable, which, I guess, might be the reason they have not found the way into the official ports collection.

If you want to give it a try, go to marcuscom.com for the ports.

13. prp-e

prp-e New Member

Thanks Received:
    I tried GNOME 3.2 on OpenBSD 5.1 and it's not stable (full of crashes :D) . Also OpenBSD kernel doesn't support 3D acceleration :) GNOME Shell doesn't work on OpenBSD

14. malco_2001

malco_2001 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Gnome shell does work on OpenBSD 5.2 beta. Not 5.1. I have also been running the version from marcuscom ports. I've been looking at that for a while. As shown in my screen shot here and my original post at the beginning of the thread.
    http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=14811&page=2
    It is getting there... It's just not a quick to install pkg like it is on openbsd 5.2 beta (for intel video at least). I can't say the same for nVidia users because their are no nvidia drivers for OpenBSD. That said I really don't OpenBSD nearly as much as FreeBSD due to a lack of other features and file system structure but it's not bad. Also I can totally understand the dislike of gnome 3 interface. Although I personally like the interface. I don't like the fact they gave no help by just porting it to the BSD's themselves and stuck to Linux. Which I also don't really like as much for a lot of the same reasons as OpenBSD. In contrast KDE 4 is less enjoyable for me but I respect them for committing to FreeBSD so well.

15. prp-e

prp-e New Member

Thanks Received:
    GDM isn't available in OpenBSD ports :D

16. alie

alie Member

Thanks Received:
    Agreed, i don't like their design especially the title bar... its looks big occupied some space for useless empty title bar...