OpenBSD 5.1 includes Gnome 3.2.1 (fallback mode)

I was quite surprised when I read that the latest OpenBSD release (5.1) includes fallback mode of Gnome 3.2.1.

Any comments?

AFAIK, the fallback mode only limitation is purely because of a technical issue in OpenBSD. (Something to do with the Mesa support).

Once it has been worked out, I am quite certain that OpenBSD users will be subject to the same Gnome 3 torture as most other Open-source fans.

Tried to give it a spin in Virtualbox. Gdm is not available through packages, marked as broken in ports.

I've just installed OpenBSD with gnome and it chose gnome3 because I didn't specify what version to install, as normally I get gnome 2 but any way this fallback mode is awful and as pacija wrotes GDM doesn't work.

*sings hackers codin' in da HOUSE tonight... all programmers gonna have a good time.. my codin' skills gon' make you LOOOSE yo mind... *

GNOME 3 is so suck!

In my opinion, GNOME 3 is so suck! I run FreeBSD as my personal server, but Debian as my desktop. Recently, I have tried GNOME 3 with Debian testing and that is so ugly! I have decided to run Xfce. In other words, I think I will not run GNOME anymore.

actually we have experimental ports for GNOME 3.x, which I have been running for months. The ports are NOT very stable, which, I guess, might be the reason they have not found the way into the official ports collection.

If you want to give it a try, go to marcuscom.com for the ports.

I tried GNOME 3.2 on OpenBSD 5.1 and it's not stable (full of crashes :D) . Also OpenBSD kernel doesn't support 3D acceleration :) GNOME Shell doesn't work on OpenBSD

Gnome shell does work on OpenBSD 5.2 beta. Not 5.1. I have also been running the version from marcuscom ports. I've been looking at that for a while. As shown in my screen shot here and my original post at the beginning of the thread.
http://forums.pcbsd.org/showthread.php?t=14811&page=2
It is getting there... It's just not a quick to install pkg like it is on openbsd 5.2 beta (for intel video at least). I can't say the same for nVidia users because their are no nvidia drivers for OpenBSD. That said I really don't OpenBSD nearly as much as FreeBSD due to a lack of other features and file system structure but it's not bad. Also I can totally understand the dislike of gnome 3 interface. Although I personally like the interface. I don't like the fact they gave no help by just porting it to the BSD's themselves and stuck to Linux. Which I also don't really like as much for a lot of the same reasons as OpenBSD. In contrast KDE 4 is less enjoyable for me but I respect them for committing to FreeBSD so well.

fender0107401 said:
In my opinion, GNOME 3 is so suck! I run FreeBSD as my personal server, but Debian as my desktop. Recently, I have tried GNOME 3 with Debian testing and that is so ugly! I have decided to run Xfce. In other words, I think I will not run GNOME anymore.

Agreed, i don't like their design especially the title bar... its looks big occupied some space for useless empty title bar...

Back