Open/Libre Office installation

• Thread starter Deleted member 9563
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9563

I just tried to install the OpenOffice package and it does not seem to exist. I understand why that might not be, so I went to the LibreOffice site and downloaded an rpm, but don't know how to install it. Is that the best way or is there a better way to install this software?

-------------------- SOLVED -------------------------------

Openoffice exists on ports.
For Openoffice 2
Code:
cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2
make install clean
For Openoffice 3
Code:
cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3
make install clean
For Openoffice 3-RC
Code:
cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3-RC
make install clean
For Openoffice 3 devel
Code:
cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3-devel
make install clean
You choose witch one you want to install :)

Thanks sk8harddiefast. I was hoping to use packages, but in this case I guess it's not possible. Anyway, this looks good, except for time. To set up this machine as a desktop has already taken me a day or so. I'm not that familiar with FreeBSD and have to search for answers on almost everything. After running for a little while, this particular port still reports an ETA of 6 (six!) hours. This is on a new dual-core Intel chip and 8GB of ram. Can that really be right? At that rate it would take weeks to set up a simple desktop machine. Is there a better way? I really, really, don't want to install yet another Linux distro. :)

Edit: I didn't see Beastie's post come in there. That is what I was looking for and I will try it later if this doesn't work out. I see now after 15 minutes or so that the port ETA is down to a little over 2 hours, which is more reasonable, so perhaps that will be workable.

To set up this machine as a desktop has already taken me a day or so && At that rate it would take weeks to set up a simple desktop machine
Well. I use quad core and to set my system with fluxbox took me 3-4 days without sleep :D The reason is simple. FreeBSD is simple. Comes without nothing and you setup it as you want. Simpliest. You set everything by own :) The other thing is that you are not familiar with FreeBSD as you said. Is too logical to make too much time because you learning. Also compile take always time (to all Unix). But is also
Code:
pkg_add -r
command witch is faster because packages comes already bild :D If you want something faster on install you can also give a try to PCBSD. Comes with KDE so will be faster on install because have Xorg, gdm, Kde and some apps by default and is based on FreeBSD.

I'm not that familiar with FreeBSD and have to search for answers on almost everything.
Some useful tips to help you start.
Search for a port
Code:
cd /usr/ports
make search name=[B]the pkg you want[/B]
or
Code:
whereis [B]the pkg you want[/B]
The second command is not needed to run it into /usr/ports.
Flags for a port (for example amsn) If "nothing to configure" that means that have no flags
Code:
cd /usr/ports/net-im/amsn
make config
Install a port (for example amsn)
Code:
make install clean
ALWAYS run make clean to remove work folder before build it again!
or
Code:
pkg_add -r amsn
Remove a package (for example amsn)
Code:
make deinstall clean
or
Code:
pkg_delete -f
and the exactly output of command
Code:
pkg_info | grep amsn
Remove everything related on amsn
Code:
pkg_delete -xfri amsn
-x tells it to search for any packages with "amsn" in the name
-f tells it to forcibly remove the package, even if there are other packages that depend on it
-r tells it to remove dependent packages as well
-i tells it to ask you whether or not to remove the package, before actually removing it, in case there are some you want to keep
(From Phoenix post)
Update your ports tree
Code:
portsnap fetch update
Install the updates
Code:
portmaster -a
Install specific updates (not all)
Code:
portmaster -ai
Clean your ports tree and useless distfiles
Code:
portsclean -CDD
Copy a folder
Code:
cp -R [B]folder[/B] (and not [B]folder/[/B])
On BSD folder from folder/ is different
Find a package if is intalled on your system
Code:
pkg_info | grep [B]the package you want to search[/B]
Load a module (for example linux)
Code:
kldload linux
Unload a module
Code:
kldunload linux
Update your system
Code:
freebsd-update fetch
Install updates
Code:
freebsd-update install
Upgrade your system
Code:
freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.1-RELEASE
Fix missing dependencies.
Notice: You must install portupgrade tool from ports first. Pkgdb is part of this tool.
Code:
pkgdb -F
I think this is the basics commands to save you from searching hours on google to find the right answer :D

I prefer the BSD way of putting the system together myself. The Linux distribution always annoyed me - I just went with it because it was easier. Now that I'm more familiar with *nix in general I felt that FreeBSD would finally be practical for me. I've always preferred the command line anyway because it is easier to understand for an amateur. Anyway, I've been fooling with FreeBSD for a while now. This is just the first full desktop system that I'm putting together with it. It's for my wife who prefers a GUI, and she specifically likes Fluxbox. Yes, she got tired of KDE and all it's bells and out-of-tune whistles. lol That's actually funny. When I showed her fluxbox and then Alt-F2 she exclaimed "you mean I just have to type the name of the program to start it - Wow!". So, it was goodbye to the Wonderful World of Widgets.

Chit chat aside; I just did a "top" on the target machine and see that there is no CPU used. Oops, it looks like the 2 hours is for downloading. My rural wireless is pretty slow for downloading files so the process is not CPU dependent - yet. When it is done, I'll be posting another thread about how to get flash working in Firefox. That's also been a disaster so far, but I'll get there. Thanks all for the help. :)

Thanks for the nice little cheatsheet sk8harddiefast. I saved it for future reference. :)

After some hours of tedious downloading, directions to download 3 separate files in odd places, followed by instruction to go to 2 different web sites using a browser, and follow instructions there, I still am not able to compile. What an odd procedure.

I have followed the procedure several times, remembering to do a "make clean" first. Then I follow the instructions to download files and place them in /usr/posts/distfiles and it repeats the request along with this:
Code:
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk16.
*** Error code 1
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apache-ant.
*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3.

Oh well, it doesn't matter because it doesn't work. I'm going to try the link to the package which Beastie gave earlier.

I installed OOo_3.2.1_FreeBSD81X86-64_install_en-GB.tbz from good-day.net. The package seemed to install but I really have no way of knowing, because I don't know how to run it. I've searched everywhere and it seems the only advice is from killasmurf86 in an old post (here) where he suggests using "openoffice.org-3.1.0", but that does nothing. I've looked in /usr/local/bin and I see nothing which begins with OO. After a whole day of this, I am at my wit's end. :( How do people do it?

The hardware is an Intel DH55TC board with Intel G6950 CPU (dual core 2.8GHz) and 8GB ram. AFAIK this should work with FreeBSD but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Networking (ssh/telnet/ftpd/etc), Gimp, and automounting is all I've set up so far and that all works well. I don't care about any network and java functionality or other toy stuff like that. All I want is basic word processing and spreadsheet functionality. An old version will do fine if anybody knows how to get it work. Any ideas?

*** Error code 1
Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk16
jdk16 is may one of 2-3 ports that need to fetch namually.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/java/jdk16
make install clean.
Will stop with error. The error will be to fetch manually distfiles (and you will give you the appropriate URL's to download them). When you download them, copy them to /usr/ports/distfiles.
Now return to /usr/ports/java/jdk16 and run
Code:
make clean
make install clean
Should do it :)
Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apache-ant.
*** Error code 1
Code:
pkg_add -r apache-ant
should do the job.
Now go to /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3
Code:
make clean
make install clean
I've looked in /usr/local/bin
Search also on /usr/local/share for any folder Ooo or openoffice or anything like that. Maybe the executable exists inside the folder.

OJ said:
I installed OOo_3.2.1_FreeBSD81X86-64_install_en-GB.tbz from good-day.net. The package seemed to install but I really have no way of knowing, because I don't know how to run it. I've searched everywhere and it seems the only advice is from killasmurf86 in an old post (here) where he suggests using "openoffice.org-3.1.0", but that does nothing. I've looked in /usr/local/bin and I see nothing which begins with OO. After a whole day of this, I am at my wit's end.

usually to start openoffice you need one of those:
Code:
soffice
for openoffice start menu
Code:
swriter
for word procesor
etc

OT: why on earth do you use ports and not packages (if you don't even use ports features)?

why on earth do you use ports and not packages?
Because ports have always the latest releases and also because have the flags option :) Something witch is one of the power of FreeBSD and a very very important thing!

Typing soffice or swriter brings up nothing. It looks like the OOo_3.2.1_FreeBSD81X86-64_install_en-US.tbz package does not work on this machine.

klanger said:
OT: why on earth do you use ports and not packages (if you don't even use ports features)?

Not OT at all. :) As indicated earlier the package for OOo is not available in the normal way. I've used packages for everything so far, but when OOo was not there, I tried the port when it was suggested. It was not until later that the special (and not easy to find) download site for a package was shown to me. However, I have yet to be convinced that OOo will even run on BSD.

I'm going to try sk8harddiefast's detailed directions, however I do think that is exactly what I've done twice already. We'll see. If that doesn't work, I'll have to throw in the towel. Perhaps try a 32 bit install instead.

sk8harddiefast said:
jdk16 is may one of 2-3 ports that need to fetch namually.
Code:
cd /usr/ports/java/jdk16
make install clean.
Will stop with error. The error will be to fetch manually distfiles (and you will give you the appropriate URL's to download them). When you download them, copy them to /usr/ports/distfiles.
Now return to /usr/ports/java/jdk16 and run
Code:
make clean
make install clean
Should do it :)

It didn't. :( I even tried with unzipping the tzupdater-1_3_33-2010l.zip file first.

What is exactly the error? Maybe I can help you. Also you can run
Code:
make config
and remove tzupdate flag if tzupdater is the problem. Then run
Code:
make clean
to delete the work folder and run again
Code:
make install clean

sk8harddiefast said:
Not sure if i386 arch, will see 8 Giga Ram.

Oh, right. (blush) Of course it won't. That's why I installed amd64 in the first place.

I'm starting to think that I should re-install the OS.

sk8harddiefast said:
What is exactly the error? Maybe I can help you.

Thank you. You're very kind. At this point it is very depressing. :)

After placing the tzupdater-1_3_33-2010l.zip in /usr/ports/java/jdk16 and doing "make clean" followed by "make install clean", I get this:

Code:
TOP# pwd
/usr/ports/java/jdk16
TOP# make install clean
===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
===>  License check disabled, port has not defined LICENSE
===>  Found saved configuration for jdk-1.6.0.3p4_15

IMPORTANT: To build the JDK 1.6.0 port, you should have at least
2.5Gb of free disk space in the build area!

Due to licensing restrictions, certain files must be fetched manually.

Please open http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
 in a web browser and follow the "Download" link for
 "JDK US DST Timezone Update Tool - 1_3_29" to obtain the
 time zone update file, tzupdater-1_3_29-2010f.zip.

Please place the downloaded file(s) in /usr/ports/distfiles
 and restart the build.

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

TOP#

Great! It was the "Remove tzupdate flag" that I didn't get or understand. Now this part appeared to work. Woot!

I'll follow the rest of your instructions and report back.

OJ said:
Typing soffice or swriter brings up nothing. It looks like the OOo_3.2.1_FreeBSD81X86-64_install_en-US.tbz package does not work on this machine.

Using the correct commands would be a good place to start:
Code:
[fcash@rogue /home/fcash]$ pkg_info -Lx openoffice | grep bin
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-sbase
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-scalc
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-sdraw
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-setofficelang
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-simpress
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-smath
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-spadmin
/usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-swriter

Don't just blindly type Linux commands and expect them to work on FreeBSD. :)

However, I have yet to be convinced that OOo will even run on BSD.

OOo 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 all work on my FreeBSD systems, all installed via packages, from the OOo website and from killasmurf86' site.

& have fun umm . . . typing stuff

OJ said:
I see now after 15 minutes or so that the port ETA is down to a little over 2 hours, which is more reasonable, so perhaps that will be workable.

Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER= to something between the total number of cores and 2n+1 in /etc/make.conf will speed things up (and get your CPU(s) nice and toasty!), as OOo's build system does a very nice job of parallelizing. And, yes, it's a massive and overdone piece of software that takes hours to compile unless you're on something with lots and lots of grunt.

Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER= to something between the total number of cores and 2n+1 in /etc/make.conf will speed things up (and get your CPU(s) nice and toasty!)
That mean's faster compile? I am confused. I have 4 cores CPU. What I suppose to write in /etc/make.conf?

OK, it didn't work. I'm back to the same thing as in the beginning. It wants me to download files manually and put them in /usr/ports/distfiles. No problem, but I already did that so I know the instructions they give are wrong or incomplete.

Two questions comes to mind:
- should I uncompress those files?
- do they need to be downloaded on the same computer as I'm installing. I'm working through telnet to make it easy and use wget, but obviously that is not possible with the java site clickthroughs. It will be the same IP but would it make a difference?

sk8harddiefast said:
That mean's faster compile? I am confused. I have 4 cores CPU. What I suppose to write in /etc/make.conf?

Well, for wall-clock times, definitely. Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER= 5 should speed things up a lot. Some build jobs seem to do well up to (your example 4-core machine) values up to 9, it just depends on how i/o- or processor-bound they are. With values above 2*cores+1 (please mind your Order of Operations) I'm given to understand that processor contention begins to become a serious detriment.

If you find that i/o is slowing things down to much, you can look at moving your work directory to a tmpfs(5) or md(4), assuming (in the case of OOo) you have +12G of RAM+swap to dedicate to building one silly office suite.

I use MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=3 on a dual-core AMD Turion and while it does keep it at 80C or so for an hour or two, web-browsing and playing music aren't impossible. Watching movies might get jittery.

Back