1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Open/Libre Office installation

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by OJ, Oct 24, 2010.

1. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    I just tried to install the OpenOffice package and it does not seem to exist. I understand why that might not be, so I went to the LibreOffice site and downloaded an rpm, but don't know how to install it. Is that the best way or is there a better way to install this software?

-------------------- SOLVED -------------------------------

2. sk8harddiefast

sk8harddiefast Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Openoffice exists on ports.
    For Openoffice 2
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-2
    make install clean

For Openoffice 3
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3
    make install clean

For Openoffice 3-RC
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3-RC
    make install clean

For Openoffice 3 devel
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3-devel
    make install clean

You choose witch one you want to install :)

3. Beastie

Beastie Active Member

Thanks Received:
    The LibreOffice RPM will not work on FreeBSD. You can get OOo packages for FreeBSD from here.

OJ thanks for this.
  4. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks sk8harddiefast. I was hoping to use packages, but in this case I guess it's not possible. Anyway, this looks good, except for time. To set up this machine as a desktop has already taken me a day or so. I'm not that familiar with FreeBSD and have to search for answers on almost everything. After running for a little while, this particular port still reports an ETA of 6 (six!) hours. This is on a new dual-core Intel chip and 8GB of ram. Can that really be right? At that rate it would take weeks to set up a simple desktop machine. Is there a better way? I really, really, don't want to install yet another Linux distro. :)

Edit: I didn't see Beastie's post come in there. That is what I was looking for and I will try it later if this doesn't work out. I see now after 15 minutes or so that the port ETA is down to a little over 2 hours, which is more reasonable, so perhaps that will be workable.

5. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    Well. I use quad core and to set my system with fluxbox took me 3-4 days without sleep :D The reason is simple. FreeBSD is simple. Comes without nothing and you setup it as you want. Simpliest. You set everything by own :) The other thing is that you are not familiar with FreeBSD as you said. Is too logical to make too much time because you learning. Also compile take always time (to all Unix). But is also
    Code:
    pkg_add -r
    command witch is faster because packages comes already bild :D If you want something faster on install you can also give a try to PCBSD. Comes with KDE so will be faster on install because have Xorg, gdm, Kde and some apps by default and is based on FreeBSD.

6. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    Some useful tips to help you start.
    Search for a port
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports
    make search name=the pkg you want

or
    Code:
    whereis the pkg you want

The second command is not needed to run it into /usr/ports.
    Flags for a port (for example amsn) If "nothing to configure" that means that have no flags
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/net-im/amsn
    make config

Install a port (for example amsn)
    Code:
    make install clean

ALWAYS run make clean to remove work folder before build it again!
    or
    Code:
    pkg_add -r amsn

Remove a package (for example amsn)
    Code:
    make deinstall clean

or
    Code:
    pkg_delete -f
    and the exactly output of command
    Code:
    pkg_info | grep amsn

Remove everything related on amsn
    Code:
    pkg_delete -xfri amsn

-x tells it to search for any packages with "amsn" in the name
    -f tells it to forcibly remove the package, even if there are other packages that depend on it
    -r tells it to remove dependent packages as well
    -i tells it to ask you whether or not to remove the package, before actually removing it, in case there are some you want to keep
    (From Phoenix post)
    Update your ports tree
    Code:
    portsnap fetch update

Install the updates
    Code:
    portmaster -a

Install specific updates (not all)
    Code:
    portmaster -ai

Clean your ports tree and useless distfiles
    Code:
    portsclean -CDD

Copy a folder
    Code:
    cp -R folder (and not folder/)

On BSD folder from folder/ is different
    Find a package if is intalled on your system
    Code:
    pkg_info | grep the package you want to search

Load a module (for example linux)
    Code:
    kldload linux

Unload a module
    Code:
    kldunload linux

Update your system
    Code:
    freebsd-update fetch

Install updates
    Code:
    freebsd-update install

Upgrade your system
    Code:
    freebsd-update upgrade -r 8.1-RELEASE

Fix missing dependencies.
    Notice: You must install portupgrade tool from ports first. Pkgdb is part of this tool.
    Code:
    pkgdb -F

I think this is the basics commands to save you from searching hours on google to find the right answer :D

talfiq and OJ thanked for this.
  7. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    I prefer the BSD way of putting the system together myself. The Linux distribution always annoyed me - I just went with it because it was easier. Now that I'm more familiar with *nix in general I felt that FreeBSD would finally be practical for me. I've always preferred the command line anyway because it is easier to understand for an amateur. Anyway, I've been fooling with FreeBSD for a while now. This is just the first full desktop system that I'm putting together with it. It's for my wife who prefers a GUI, and she specifically likes Fluxbox. Yes, she got tired of KDE and all it's bells and out-of-tune whistles. lol That's actually funny. When I showed her fluxbox and then Alt-F2 she exclaimed "you mean I just have to type the name of the program to start it - Wow!". So, it was goodbye to the Wonderful World of Widgets.

Chit chat aside; I just did a "top" on the target machine and see that there is no CPU used. Oops, it looks like the 2 hours is for downloading. My rural wireless is pretty slow for downloading files so the process is not CPU dependent - yet. When it is done, I'll be posting another thread about how to get flash working in Firefox. That's also been a disaster so far, but I'll get there. Thanks all for the help. :)

8. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the nice little cheatsheet sk8harddiefast. I saved it for future reference. :)

After some hours of tedious downloading, directions to download 3 separate files in odd places, followed by instruction to go to 2 different web sites using a browser, and follow instructions there, I still am not able to compile. What an odd procedure.

I have followed the procedure several times, remembering to do a "make clean" first. Then I follow the instructions to download files and place them in /usr/posts/distfiles and it repeats the request along with this:
    Code:
    *** Error code 1
    Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk16.
    *** Error code 1
    *** Error code 1
    Stop in /usr/ports/devel/apache-ant.
    *** Error code 1
    Stop in /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3.

Oh well, it doesn't matter because it doesn't work. I'm going to try the link to the package which Beastie gave earlier.

9. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    I installed OOo_3.2.1_FreeBSD81X86-64_install_en-GB.tbz from good-day.net. The package seemed to install but I really have no way of knowing, because I don't know how to run it. I've searched everywhere and it seems the only advice is from killasmurf86 in an old post (here) where he suggests using "openoffice.org-3.1.0", but that does nothing. I've looked in /usr/local/bin and I see nothing which begins with OO. After a whole day of this, I am at my wit's end. :( How do people do it?

The hardware is an Intel DH55TC board with Intel G6950 CPU (dual core 2.8GHz) and 8GB ram. AFAIK this should work with FreeBSD but perhaps I'm wrong about that. Networking (ssh/telnet/ftpd/etc), Gimp, and automounting is all I've set up so far and that all works well. I don't care about any network and java functionality or other toy stuff like that. All I want is basic word processing and spreadsheet functionality. An old version will do fine if anybody knows how to get it work. Any ideas?

10. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    jdk16 is may one of 2-3 ports that need to fetch namually.
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/java/jdk16
    make install clean.

Will stop with error. The error will be to fetch manually distfiles (and you will give you the appropriate URL's to download them). When you download them, copy them to /usr/ports/distfiles.
    Now return to /usr/ports/java/jdk16 and run
    Code:
    make clean
    make install clean

Should do it :)
    Code:
    pkg_add -r apache-ant
    should do the job.
    Now go to /usr/ports/editors/openoffice.org-3
    Code:
    make clean
    make install clean

Search also on /usr/local/share for any folder Ooo or openoffice or anything like that. Maybe the executable exists inside the folder.

11. klanger

klanger New Member

Thanks Received:
    usually to start openoffice you need one of those:
    Code:
    soffice
    for openoffice start menu
    Code:
    swriter
    for word procesor
    etc

OT: why on earth do you use ports and not packages (if you don't even use ports features)?

12. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    Because ports have always the latest releases and also because have the flags option :) Something witch is one of the power of FreeBSD and a very very important thing!

13. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    Typing soffice or swriter brings up nothing. It looks like the OOo_3.2.1_FreeBSD81X86-64_install_en-US.tbz package does not work on this machine.

Not OT at all. :) As indicated earlier the package for OOo is not available in the normal way. I've used packages for everything so far, but when OOo was not there, I tried the port when it was suggested. It was not until later that the special (and not easy to find) download site for a package was shown to me. However, I have yet to be convinced that OOo will even run on BSD.

I'm going to try sk8harddiefast's detailed directions, however I do think that is exactly what I've done twice already. We'll see. If that doesn't work, I'll have to throw in the towel. Perhaps try a 32 bit install instead.

14. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    Not sure if i386 arch, will see 8 Giga Ram.

15. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    It didn't. :( I even tried with unzipping the tzupdater-1_3_33-2010l.zip file first.

16. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    What is exactly the error? Maybe I can help you. Also you can run
    Code:
    make config
    and remove tzupdate flag if tzupdater is the problem. Then run
    Code:
    make clean
    to delete the work folder and run again
    Code:
    make install clean

17. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh, right. (blush) Of course it won't. That's why I installed amd64 in the first place.

I'm starting to think that I should re-install the OS.

18. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you. You're very kind. At this point it is very depressing. :)

After placing the tzupdater-1_3_33-2010l.zip in /usr/ports/java/jdk16 and doing "make clean" followed by "make install clean", I get this:

Code:
    TOP# pwd
    /usr/ports/java/jdk16
    TOP# make install clean
    ===>  Vulnerability check disabled, database not found
    ===>  License check disabled, port has not defined LICENSE
    ===>  Found saved configuration for jdk-1.6.0.3p4_15

IMPORTANT: To build the JDK 1.6.0 port, you should have at least
    2.5Gb of free disk space in the build area!

Due to licensing restrictions, certain files must be fetched manually.

Please open http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
     in a web browser and follow the "Download" link for
     "JDK US DST Timezone Update Tool - 1_3_29" to obtain the
     time zone update file, tzupdater-1_3_29-2010f.zip.

Please place the downloaded file(s) in /usr/ports/distfiles
     and restart the build.

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

TOP#             

19. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    Code:
    cd /usr/ports/java/jdk16
    make config (Remove tzupdate flag)
    make clean
    make install clean

20. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    Great! It was the "Remove tzupdate flag" that I didn't get or understand. Now this part appeared to work. Woot!

I'll follow the rest of your instructions and report back.

21. phoenix

phoenix Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Using the correct commands would be a good place to start:
    Code:
    [fcash@rogue /home/fcash]$ pkg_info -Lx openoffice | grep bin
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-sbase
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-scalc
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-sdraw
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-setofficelang
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-simpress
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-smath
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-spadmin
    /usr/local/bin/openoffice.org-3.2.1-swriter

Don't just blindly type Linux commands and expect them to work on FreeBSD. :)

OOo 3.0, 3.1, and 3.2 all work on my FreeBSD systems, all installed via packages, from the OOo website and from killasmurf86' site.

22. fronclynne

fronclynne New Member

Thanks Received:
    & have fun umm . . . typing stuff

Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER= to something between the total number of cores and 2n+1 in /etc/make.conf will speed things up (and get your CPU(s) nice and toasty!), as OOo's build system does a very nice job of parallelizing. And, yes, it's a massive and overdone piece of software that takes hours to compile unless you're on something with lots and lots of grunt.

23. sk8harddiefast

Thanks Received:
    That mean's faster compile? I am confused. I have 4 cores CPU. What I suppose to write in /etc/make.conf?

24. OJ

OJ Member

Thanks Received:
    OK, it didn't work. I'm back to the same thing as in the beginning. It wants me to download files manually and put them in /usr/ports/distfiles. No problem, but I already did that so I know the instructions they give are wrong or incomplete.

Two questions comes to mind:
    - should I uncompress those files?
    - do they need to be downloaded on the same computer as I'm installing. I'm working through telnet to make it easy and use wget, but obviously that is not possible with the java site clickthroughs. It will be the same IP but would it make a difference?

25. fronclynne

fronclynne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well, for wall-clock times, definitely. Setting MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER= 5 should speed things up a lot. Some build jobs seem to do well up to (your example 4-core machine) values up to 9, it just depends on how i/o- or processor-bound they are. With values above 2*cores+1 (please mind your Order of Operations) I'm given to understand that processor contention begins to become a serious detriment.

If you find that i/o is slowing things down to much, you can look at moving your work directory to a tmpfs(5) or md(4), assuming (in the case of OOo) you have +12G of RAM+swap to dedicate to building one silly office suite.

I use MAKE_JOBS_NUMBER=3 on a dual-core AMD Turion and while it does keep it at 80C or so for an hour or two, web-browsing and playing music aren't impossible. Watching movies might get jittery.