1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

numpad keys as the same non numpad keys

Discussion in 'X.Org' started by freethread, Oct 31, 2011.

1. freethread

freethread Member

Is there a way to use numpad keys as the related non-numpad keys? That is, the ARROWS, PGUP, PGDN, HOME, END, INS, DEL on a desktop keyboard.

My desktop env is Xfce and I prefer stick with it. I know ther's an option in Gnome keyboard that do this trik, but never tested if it really works. In Xorg configuration there is an option
    Code:
    Option "XkbOption" "numpad:microsoft"
    I found it somewhere on the Net and inserted it in xorg.conf, it seem doesn't works.

I installed Xorg without Hal, but some port use it (gnome-mount, Thunar and few others, I'm working for remove it), anyways Xorg doesn't depend on it so the option should works, or perhaps it's wrong typed.

Anyone know if there is a solution? I run in troubles editing text, some habits are hard to die.

2. ikreos

ikreos New Member

Is there any reason you can't turn NumLock off?

3. freethread

freethread Member

lol, I don't know how you can see the numlock led on my keyboard, anyways it's turned off.
    I will explain the problem in more detail.

For 'cut', 'copy' and 'paste' command I use respectively 'shift+del', 'ctrl+ins', 'shift+ins', I use them from about 25 years, moreover X Windows is not the graphic environment I usually use. The numeric pad always work as cursor movement and not numeric keys (so nuklock is turned off). If you try to type 'ctrl+ins' (INSERT on numpad), nothing happens in Xfce and in more general all X desktop envs. When you type 'shift+ins' (INSERT on numeric pad) a '0' (zero) will be printed. I prefer the 'ctrl-ins', 'shift-ins' and 'shift-del' on numpad behave the same as on the non-numpad 'ins' and 'del'.

The same happens with selection 'shift+(arrows|home|end|pgup|pgdn)' and 'shift+ctrl+(home|end|pgup|pgdn)' in this case I use the 4 arrow keys and it works, but for home, end, pgup, pgdn I use the numpad keys. Anyhow, if there is a solution for one of the key on numpad it works for all.

As an example, some editors like Geany, Eclipse IDE and, if I remember SciTE, that key combinations are configurable.

4. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

This could be due to a keymap setting. On a US keyboard, the numpad keys type cursor movements unless Numlock is on.

In xfce, the Settings/Keyboard control panel will recognize numpad shift-0 as separate from shift-0. Offhand I can't recall how you can send a fake input character in
    X, but I'm pretty sure it's possible. There's xkbcomp(1) and a little searching turns up x11/xdotool. (Untested.)

5. ikreos

ikreos New Member

Hence why I asked. Just thought it might be something you missed. If you use a different keymap, I apologize for the slightly rude(?) post.

Well I am stuck between subatomic particles in quantum space. :D

6. freethread

freethread Member

Thanks ikreos and wblock for your advices, after a deep search on the web without success and after many test and Xfce restarts, I found a solution that works for me, perhaps it's not elegant but block a lot of swearwords.

First thing, the line I had in xorg.conf was wrong, this is the right one
    Code:
    Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier     "Keyboard0"
        Option         "XkbOption[B]s[/B]" "numpad:microsoft"
    EndSection

with this line the numpad behave as expected except fot INS and DEL, they do nothing with modifiers (alt, ctrl and shift).To correct this I remapped them to the non-numpad twins insering the following lines in .xinitrc before starting Xfce
    Code:
    xmodmap -e "keysym KP_Insert = Insert"
    xmodmap -e "keysym KP_Delete = Delete"
    exec startxfce4

Now I try to set [solved] to this thread