Solved No 3D acceleration after recent updates

I recently updated my 13.1 desktop, both system and installed ports, using freebsd-update and pkg upgrade. Everything seems to be working except blender - it's painfully slow, and maxes out the CPUs. Other 3D applications like FreeCAD, Prusa Slicer, and gmsh work smoothly. However, while I was working on setting up a jail yesterday I discovered that blender had started working normally, but then it went back to being sluggish after a reboot. I realize that my hardware isn't the newest, but there's no point in buying new hardware as long as it's working, and yesterday's events indicate that it can still work. The only indication of any problems are the following two lines that are generated by most graphics programs when started from a command line:
libGL error: failed to authenticate magic 1
libGL error: failed to load driver: crocus
Those weren't appearing when everything was working properly. I'm at a complete loss as to what might be the cause of all this, why things apparently cleared up for a short while, and what might be done to get things back to working the way they should. Here's some more information:
Code:
freebsd-version
13.1-RELEASE-p7
Code:
pciconf -lv | grep -B4 VGA
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0:    class=0x030000 rev=0x09 hdr=0x00 vendor=0x8086 device=0x0162 subvendor=0x19da subdevice=0xb202
    vendor     = 'Intel Corporation'
    device     = 'IvyBridge GT2 [HD Graphics 4000]'
    class      = display
    subclass   = VGA
Code:
pkg info -x mesa 
libosmesa-22.3.6
mesa-demos-8.4.0_3
mesa-dri-22.3.6
mesa-libs-22.3.6
[code]
I'm not sure what other information might be helpful, but I will be happy to supply anything requested.

Regards,

Denver

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you switch between graphics and vt console text screens?

There is a known problem that some applications do work after starting X, but when starting X, then switching to a vt console text screen and back to X, and then starting the application, they will fail to obtain the scceleration access and show errors simlar to what you posted.

Looks like that was it. I remember reading about that but it's never been a problem that I noticed, so I completely forgot about it. I'm glad it turned out to be something simple, thanks.

Denver

Did you switch between graphics and vt console text screens?

There is a known problem that some applications do work after starting X, but when starting X, then switching to a vt console text screen and back to X, and then starting the application, they will fail to obtain the scceleration access and show errors simlar to what you posted.
Is it solvable, though? I encounter it regularly while closing and opening the lid of laptop, it indeed logs off from X to console and back. Any directions to where to read about this problem would be helpful. Currently I have to reboot to fix that which is not very convenient...

Is it solvable, though? I encounter it regularly while closing and opening the lid of laptop, it indeed logs off from X to console and back. Any directions to where to read about this problem would be helpful. Currently I have to reboot to fix that which is not very convenient...
What power management setting did you have? Does closing the lid make it sleep? I disable screensaver on mine so it is on always.

What power management setting did you have? Does closing the lid make it sleep? I disable screensaver on mine so it is on always.
sorry for late reply, somehow missed the notification
I think I have basic
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3
... if that's what you meant?
Are you implying that fix is to forego sleep on lid close?

sorry for late reply, somehow missed the notification
I think I have basic
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state=S3
... if that's what you meant?
Are you implying that fix is to forego sleep on lid close?
Do you want the laptop to be off when the lid is closed? I had mine on since it's always at home so never had the need to bring anywhere else.

When you opened the lid is it on the console screen or login screen if you're using DE for your environment.

See also :-
and

Back