1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFS "Permission denied", why?

Discussion in 'Web and Network Services' started by mcgee, Jul 14, 2011.

1. mcgee

mcgee New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm getting a "Permission denied" error on an NFS mount, but I'm completely mystified as to the reason. (I really wish mountd was a little more verbose with its error logging!) First, the server and client DO work, I have existing NFS exports that mount cleanly and work as expected. So that's not an issue. But I have one particular export that is not working at all, and I don't know why.

On the server, this is one line in my /etc/exports:
    Code:
    /ftp -ro -alldirs

/ftp is a symlink to /.nfs1/ftp, which is mode 755. Under /ftp is a partial FreeBSD distribution tree, today we want to mount this directory: /ftp/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.2-RELEASE

That 8.2-RELEASE directory is empty, used as a mount point for a vnode configured to point at an ISO file. So, we do this:
    mount -t cd9660 /dev/`mdconfig -f /ftp/pub/FreeBSD/ISO/8.2-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso` /ftp/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.2-RELEASE

The kicker is this: before I mount the vnode, my NFS client can cleanly mount the empty 8.2-RELEASE directory. After I mount the vnode, the client cannot mount it, and gets "Permission denied". I checked file modes on the server, and everyone has at least read access to everything involved here, and x on the directories.

What am I missing?

2. SirDice

SirDice Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Thanks Received:
    The directory in /ftp/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386/8.2-RELEASE is a different filesystem and needs to be exported explicitly.