NAS Build base parts

Crivens

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I just came to see the CM3588 board. According to some users here the CPU should be supported.
Why use this as a NAS base? It comes with 4 M.2 slots right off the bat, plus some network ports.
I'll investigate a bit.

Since it is aimed at being a NAS, having 4 drives with X1 makes sense too. You will run into the network bottleneck sooner than the m.2 one, I think.
But maybe it us suitable as a mini desktop. Then it would be different.

Since it is aimed at being a NAS, having 4 drives with X1 makes sense too. You will run into the network bottleneck sooner than the m.2 one, I think.
My first thought was "but what if one has a 10G network link?", my second was "what's the bandwidth of m.2 pcie 3.0?". Quick bit of duck duck go and "Yep, I agree with Crivens "
And third thought was "How can I justify this to the wife, will it run XigmaNAS?"

And third thought was "How can I justify this to the wife, will it run XigmaNAS?"
The good old WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)...
This thing is silent, will not kick up dust, not blow cat hair all over the place and only use X amount of electricity so it will pay for itself in no time at all.
How about that?

Interesting project :)
I am curious what type of case will you get for this motherboard ?
NVME have a tendency to get hot even with additional passive cooler hence the previous question.

The good old WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)...
This thing is silent, will not kick up dust, not blow cat hair all over the place and only use X amount of electricity so it will pay for itself in no time at all.
How about that?
I think I've already used 2 of them and we have 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs which alleviates the cat hair problem....
:)

I think I've already used 2 of them and we have 2 Bernese Mountain Dogs which alleviates the cat hair problem....
:)
Ah, so you already have a hair problem. But it could be worse, like Malamut worse.
Anyway, good look with the WAF problem, boys need toys, too :)

Ah, so you already have a hair problem. But it could be worse, like Malamut worse.
Before my first Berner, had 2 Siberians. The joke was "which is worse, 2 Siberians or 1 Berner?" Now 2 Berners and hey can I knit you a sweater?

Back