1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mbmon daemon port

Discussion in 'Installation and Maintenance of Ports or Packages' started by pcbsd64, Apr 2, 2011.

1. pcbsd64

pcbsd64 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am trying to read my cpu temp with gkrellm using mbmon, which requires me to run mbmon -r -P <port#> I can start mbmon by adding
    Code:
    mbmon_enable="YES"
    to my rc.conf, but this doesn't ouput mbmon's readings to a port for gkrellm to read. I could use a crontab file, but it doesn't seem proper to run mbmon at an interval.

I found this somewhat confusing mailing list message, that doesn't say where to run the script from. Do I name the script mbmon and add it to /etc/rc.d?

2. francis

francis New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi, if you want to create that script, maybe try to do this in that way? You can create in the /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ directory a .sh script, put that command which you are using, I mean $ mbmon -r -P port# and make this shell script executable by using # chmod +x your_script_name.sh.
    Then put in the /etc/rc.conf file
    Code:
    your.script.name_enable="YES"

However, if this script must be placed in the /etc/rc.d/ directory, look here; Practical rc.d scripting in BSD
    By the way. In the gkrellm manual pages for Linux is written something like
    I hope that it will help You in some way. Good luck.

pcbsd64 thanks for this.
  3. pcbsd64

pcbsd64 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thankk you, francis. I'll try that. I didn't realize the use of rc.d and rc.conf were so flexible.

When I used the hash symbol "#", I was meaning a number. It is probably a depreciated usage now , but "#" used to be called the number sign, then later it became the pound sign, because it is located above the "3" on a keyboard. UK keyboards have "£" for pound sterling located there.

Hash is probably the most accurate usage . I'm glad we finally got around to it.

4. wblock@

wblock@ Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator Developer

Thanks Received:
    It's a regional thing. Personally, I like the sound of "octothorpe".